How to risk more money? Problems with risking more

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by agent54, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Tradex

Tradex

You are probably thinking about trend following systems. These strategies require larger stops, for sure.

#11     Aug 18, 2020
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

Yep, tight, like danger tight is good for Scalping, so tight it hits it's a false hit, ignore back in again 2pts better or worse.

Cracking that and not moving SL then turning a 5pt loser into a 30pt loser, took years to crack.

#12     Aug 18, 2020
    Tradex likes this.
  3. Tradex

Tradex

...if not decades!

Excellent point Turveyd! :)

#13     Aug 18, 2020
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

Male, so likely forget tomorrow and take another 10years LOL

#14     Aug 18, 2020
    Tradex likes this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

"When you have edge, risk as much as possible without risking your account."

LOL everytime huh?

#15     Aug 18, 2020
    murray t turtle and Tradex like this.
  6. Tradex

Tradex

When you suck risk nothing and don't trade, period.

Unless you have already backtested your system (200 to 500 historical trades at least) and the setback (drawdown) you are currently experiencing is "normal" and within normal range.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    #16     Aug 18, 2020
  7. El Trado

El Trado

Don't worry about it. Trade what you are comfortable with. If you try to push it, you will get nervous, and you will make stupid mistakes that will lose you money.

And, who can say that what you are risking is too little? I have been trading for many years, and have a portfolio that is a lot larger than yours. But, most trades I do, I risk way less than 1 %. Actually way less than 0.1 % as well. I have a strategy that works for me, that I have been using successfully for many years. There is no way in hell I would change it just because some clown tells me that "I need to risk more". So continue trading small positions within your tolerance level. If you exceed it, you will start making silly mistakes. Which for sure will cost you.

#17     Aug 19, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  8. ironchef

ironchef

If you are a student, time to read up on and learn Kelly. Then trade fractional Kelly.

#18     Aug 19, 2020
  9. Millionaire

Millionaire

You need a part time job.

If you can save $500 a month from your job.

Then that is $500 a month you could risk in the market.

So you could risk $100 a trade, and if you find your self down $500 for the month. Stop for the rest of the month.

Going to require discipline to stop.

#19     Aug 23, 2020
  10. Andrew_87

Andrew_87

Agreed! Traders shouldn't force their trades, it brings only stress and panic eventually.

#20     Sep 2, 2020
    El Trado and murray t turtle like this.