How to recover from a huge loss?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by kj5159, Sep 11, 2019.

1. I lost $18,000.00 holding a loosing position on TSLA overnight. That was almost 4 years ago. I felt the worst I have ever felt in my life. I got drunk and spent the entire night awake waiting for the market to open the next day. It was horrible and I became physically sick. Literally puking and crapping my guts out. At one point I thought I was dying. The morning came and I closed the position grateful I didn't loose more. After something like that happens you make a very serious promise to yourself to NEVER do that again. It's a painful lesson every trader has got to go through. There is no way you will completely understand or embrace the lesson of controlling risk unless you have felt that kind of out of control misery and pain. Looking back on it, I am grateful that it happened to me sooner in my career rather then later. Pain is a great mentor.

#31     Sep 25, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Sprout

Sprout

PTSD oriented EDMR or MDMA based somatic therapy.

#32     Sep 25, 2019
  3. %%
    THAT; + sounds like me, he =hates even the word loss. Call it a business exspence;+ never go hog wild with business exspences.
    The WORST thing after a large loss/exspence= increase size
    ; best thing is cut back size. Some blew out a account; you think 30% is a real killer KJ51??

And study more charts, even a 93 % hit/success rate could be wrong 7 or 8 months in a row. . NOT a prediction-hope this helps ; it helped me.
    :cool::cool:,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

#33     Oct 9, 2019
  4. copa8

copa8

Just curious, but where does one find those extra hours beyond 24? :p

#34     Oct 15, 2019
    ironchef likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

24 hours for left-brain half, 24 hours for right-brain half, 24 hours for ass-cheek clenching (backup brain).

There's your 72 hours.

#35     Oct 15, 2019