How to receive large price data over the internet

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Nana Trader, Oct 29, 2005.

1. What are differnet ways for recieving large price data of nearly 5 to 10 GB from another person over internet?

Are there any easy and fast ways to do downlaod them to
    my PC, without subscribing to any expensive service, nothing comes to my mind..:(

Thanks for any advice

2. ftp (?)

3. just21

just21

bit torrent,

4. Bit torrent? how? it say files have to download
    to email or website

But pricedata is in CDs or PC hard drive

5. http://www.dropload.com/

for free but limited to 100Mb per file

why don't you put it on a CD and send it by mail?

6. actually someone is sending to me, and it more than
    10 CDs (7-8 GB), i don't think he willing to send in
    smaller interval

I need somthing that can upload fast very large files

7. I'm curious to know why you need pricedata so big that you could not download it online; are you trying to backtest a trading system?

Why backtesting when you can paper trade?

8. Step 1. Compress the data. A superior and free compressor is bzip2 available from http://www.bzip.org. In general compressed files will be smaller than zip or gzip formats.

Step 2. Obtain an FTP server and run on your machine. Inform the sender of your IP address. Open ports 20 and 21 on your firewall to allow the sender to connect to the ftp server. Close the ports after the transfers are completed.

9. Can he not write on DVD's? (4.7Gb a piece)

10. The fastest way?

Either you or the sender needs to run an ftp server and open the ftp ports to the internet. Then just do the transfer straight from one PC to the other with an ftp client (if you run the server then he can push the files, if he runs the server you can suck them down). If you aren't going to break the files up make sure you choose an ftp server that supports resume.

The speed will be limited by the lower of his upload bandwidth speed and your download bandwidth speed.

Edit: Ooops, I just saw that dcraig already said the same thing. Good point about compressing it first too, I assumed it was already compressed, if not then compression is definitely the first step.

#10     Oct 29, 2005