How to read this VOLUME chart ?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by etradeqeko, Aug 9, 2018.

1. What? That's correct, of course... but never heard you say that before. Did you have an "ah-ha" moment?

#51     Aug 13, 2018
  2. I believe it is what happens to the price WHILE volume is building that matters.

es

#52     Aug 13, 2018
  3. ??? You go off your meds?

#53     Aug 13, 2018
  4. padutrader

padutrader

in one word...yes
    in two words yes yes

watch it live.....but it does confirm price more often than not...
    and as the trend matures, it does not take a genius to say that the trend will weaken...but it will continue....as long as the countertrend players keep getting killed/sacrified at the altar of the trend:so the trend ends when the volume of counter trend players is low, NOT HIGH.
    or to put it another way the trend will end when there are ONLY WITH TREND TRADERS.
    THE TREND YOUR FRIEND?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    #54     Aug 13, 2018
  5. :strong:What?...it's true what I posted for shorter term trading.

Es

#55     Aug 13, 2018
    padutrader likes this.
  6. NO, it's not. Completely irrelevant. No attention should be given to that.

#56     Aug 13, 2018
  7. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

First you speak of momentum. Momentum of what? Price? It must be price you are talking about since you then say momentum "over rules" volume. Clearly, in YOUR mind, in YOUR usage, price and volume are not linked. Maybe rethink. It is easy to prove that price movement, a.k.a. range, increases with increasing volume. In that way price and volume are linked. Volume is NOT subjective. If there is no volume, there is no liquidity for the instrument. Shit on the shelf for $100 an ounce or a penny per gram doesn't matter... no volume, no liquidity. Volume has no use in those situations. Not to be confused with decreasing volume. Volume is a measure of liquidity. Volume is not the liquidity, it is an outcome of liquidity. You've highlighted a typical volume dry up on your chart... increasing volume--> declining volume (in context, arrow looks to be lowest volume of day, or very close to it)--> increasing volume.

It also seems to me part of YOUR volume usage is about "picking" volume tops and bottoms. Volume peaks and troughs are dependent on where you are within a trend (a trend has a start, a middle, and an end). Volume peaks and troughs are different during a retrace versus a continuation of trend. In this regard, yes, you need to know the context. Gold star for you.

#57     Aug 13, 2018
    Sprout and Simples like this.
  8. padutrader

padutrader

trading is and always will be a work in progress

#58     Aug 13, 2018
  9. padutrader

padutrader

i am using Tom Williams methodology or trying to: it will take some time.
    but it is Tom's baby

#59     Aug 13, 2018
  10. padutrader

padutrader

this thread is getting really interesting

but guys the idea is to make money....not a doctorate

#60     Aug 13, 2018