how to quantify SPY bar ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by netanel99, Jun 11, 2013.

1. netanel99

netanel99

hello traders,

just wonder if anyone knows how to do this:

I'm looking at the daily bars - only from the close of yesterday till the close of tommorrow and I'm estimating if the Bar is : little, average, big. I'm basing my decision on the relative volatility my eyes see for the last 60 bars.

So, I'm wondering , is there is any precise way to do this ? maybe some indicator that slice the bars in 3 lines - show where is little, average, and big - movement of price. I'm thinking maybe something relate to ATR. but it's lower indicator beside the graph.

too bad I can't program the TOS platform :)

2. MrN

MrN

There are unlimited ways that you could do something like that. You just need to come up with an exact concept or rule set to evaluate.

3. netanel99

netanel99

yup, this part is like playing with the indicator a little, is there any indicator you know that shows it on the bars ? ( other sideway indicators won't be useful)
    thanks on the reply ;)

4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

What programming software you have access too ?

I ask because most of today's programming software have their own dedicated forums (e.g. Tradestation, Ninjatrader, Metachart, Sierra, Multicharts, CQG) where you can ask questions like this and get answers specifically tailor to the software you're using. Those that don't have their own dedicated forum...there are discussion forums at many popular trading sites with traders that could help you with the coding in your specific software that you're using for coding.

By the way, just in case you didn't notice, Elitetrader.com has its own programming section @ http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=65

5. tandh

tandh

Sounds like your using Think or Swim. There is a think or swim coding group on yahoo, can't think of the exact name right now, but I'm sure you can find it if you look for it.