How to put stops on a ES position when Globex is closed at IB?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Daal, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Daal

Daal

Lots of times I initiate a position before the 4:15 close and I want to put a stop plus profit taker, yet IB won't let me submit saying the exchange is closed. So I have to wait for it to open to be able to submit

I don't see why there should be this limitation because if I put the stop and profit taker before the 4:15 the orders will be kept at IB then re-sent to the exchange after it reopens(blue status then green)

How to do this when Globex is closed?
    Its really fucked up that IB won't let the orders be submitted on blue status then automatically sent. Here I am wasting my time on a friday before the holidays just because of this crap

2. southall

southall

I just tried putting in sell stop, i presume the markets are closed now, TWS accepted it fine, showed with a blue status.

3. No problems here.

Check your setting in the presets to GTC and allow trades after hours.

4. Daal

Daal

It will NOT let you do that if you try immediately after the globex close. I don't know how long you have to wait (yes i'm putting GTC and allowing execution outside RTH) but its annoying as hell

5. southall

southall

Why not just attach your stop and profit to your entry order?

6. this^ plus be sure to use good-til-cancelled or your orders will cancel at the close

but you should already have known that

7. not sure exactly what you are talking about. Don't trade ES anymore. I was having a similar problem in forex. It was because I had my trigger set up at "last" rather than "bid" or "ask"

switched everything to "bid" and problem was resolved

otherwise, I don't know what ATH is like anymore in ES, but I certainly wouldn't want to have an open stop order

on the other hand, limit orders can be quite lucrative

you can't believe the kind of prices people will pay after hours