¿How to properly spot S/R?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by PAAddict, May 30, 2019.

1. PAAddict

PAAddict

Ok, so given what you suggested I have identified RTH PDL as my closest R level. This coincides by a couple of ticks with the whole movement 50%. I will pay special attention to this level when reached. And post my update at the end of the day.
    upload_2019-6-3_7-47-48.png

#51     Jun 3, 2019
  2. %%
    OK PAA actionAdd; QQQ is still DOWN=bear trend= almost all moving averages.
    And 2 day chart, horizontal S&R logic trendlines/price= all most down[9;34+ 9;37 Central time]================================================

SQQQ is up=same way; it moves up= when QQQ moves down.:cool::cool:,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

#52     Jun 3, 2019
    PAAddict likes this.
  3. PAAddict

PAAddict

Ok, I gave a try to the level spotted in premarket. I found that today trying to anticipate a trend out of a BO did not work (first Long), then the short from the LH after the fail of the BO didnt work either. By then my reading was congestion. A new long after the first RET after the new BO attempt was scratched and then a new Reentry long was the only good trade for the day. As I am just testing this. I stopped there and started watching.

Things I dont quite get regarding S/R:

1. Where does R came from at 2759?
    2. After prices move away from 2750 it seems like if that level had some sort of gravity field that attracts prices again towards it.

These are my observations for today.

upload_2019-6-3_10-38-46.png

#53     Jun 3, 2019
  4. PAAddict

PAAddict

After the market Reversed from 2764 and crossed the 2750 level something interesting happened. Once a LH below 2750 was cleared, prices fell all the way to 2736 which was the same distance from 2750 to 2764, but on the way down.

upload_2019-6-3_11-36-16.png

#54     Jun 3, 2019
  5. PAAddict

PAAddict

Ok, so my levels for today are in S, PDH and in R 2 days ago H and 3 days ago L. I will watch what happens at all those levels in case they are hit. All levels are RTH as suggested by NQ.

upload_2019-6-4_7-52-42.png

#55     Jun 4, 2019
    NQurious likes this.
  6. PAAddict

PAAddict

Another interesting day trying to understand how this S/R thing works. Today we had a slow downtrend (Trend Channel) that turned into a Triangle before a final BO and a proper uptrend. During the channel as expected trying to get through S/R levels was hard and costly.

I am still trying to explore what I found yesterday, regarding the distance the market will move once S/R Level has a BO and a RET. I think it has something to do with the distance traveled between the beginning of the trend and the respective S/R Level, so if a trend starts 20 points away from R and R is broken and tested the expected distance for the trend to travel before finding opposite force should be 20 pts. If anyone has any Idea around this issue, it would be great to have some feedback.

upload_2019-6-4_11-41-54.png

#56     Jun 4, 2019
    NQurious likes this.
  7. NQurious

NQurious

My chart today 15 minute ES with the pivot levels noted.

ES.JPG

If nothing else, the strong support at the prior chart swing low and the prior day's high as evidenced by traders stepping up to buy that level and not even allow for a retest gave a good indication that the gap was not to be readily filled. When price broke the opening high, that indicated that either a bull trend day or a trading range day was on tap and all but eliminated the odds of a bear trend day developing.

The break of the secondary opening range high threw the odds solidly behinds a bull trend day where the market was expected ... yes, expected to close at its eventual high, whatever that high would be. The opening range for me is whatever range sets up at the open and can consume as much or as little time as necessary for traders to mark their respective lines in the sand. The secondary opening range is the range of the first 60 to 90 minutes ... context will typically tell you when it has ended. In this case the rally to 80.25 following the 64 low was then retraced halfway back to the tick (72.25) HWB is more or less a line in the sand. When the market broke to a new high, one could have established a long and held it to the close. with a stop below the 72.25, imo.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    #57     Jun 4, 2019
    Onra and PAAddict like this.
  8. NQurious

NQurious

The low or high of any day is the same price whether a single tic chart, 5 minute bar, hourly bar, or daily bar. During a bear trend, there is typically much less support than resistance, and as a high is a high is a high, you can quite readily identify resistance on a 5 minute chart (or a tic chart, range chart, hourly chart or daily bar chart).

S/R is as exact as it has to be, which is to say that when trading support and resistance, "almost" is often close enough.

You seem to use moving averages in your definition of S/R. While some moving averages do appear to act as "dynamic" s/r during trends and counter trend movements, most would agree that during trading ranges MA's are good for nothing other than telling you that price is in a trading range because the MA's are all knotted up. This is not to disparage MA's and I keep some around myself for the value they have during trending moves - tey can also be quite handy in defining various conditions to enter trades. But if price is trading below the moving average and above the prior day's high, I am not going to disregard a buy signal at the test of that high as support just because price is below the MA.

S/R will define the extremes of that range, however. Price action at those levels will convey information. This information will allow a price action trader to make a profit, limit losses to a fraction of the potential profit, and reverse position when necessary. There is no information available to the day trader as valuable as yesterday's high, low, and close, and today's open. Each level will not have the same value on any given day. For example, yesterday, 6/4/2019, it was the 6/3 high that became the pivotal point of the day. The 6/4 open thus became a bull above/bear below level once buyers showed immense interest above the 6/3 high.

You may not be day trading. Day trading is quite a different activity from swing trading, and world's apart from investing. But even the swing trader could likely increase his or her ability to better judge the market's action by noting price action around prior highs/lows, closes, and opens.

#58     Jun 5, 2019
    They and murray t turtle like this.
  9. %% Almost all true;
    except the 5 minute high or low of the day is frequently different from 55 minutes-60minutes or 5 hours. high of day.Actually, you're right i never said moving averages do work; we have to do the work.

Dont really hate 5 minute candle or the fact they have many more errors than 5 hour charts;that would explain partly why 52 week high/low matters more than 5.2 hours.
    My post on sunday about one days supporT noT meaning much @ all; was when the market ,QQQ was much more bearish, as your first paragraph implied.[:D:D, :D:D:D:D:D:D And before the Fed head bullish hint LOL-LOL]

#59     Jun 6, 2019
  10. PAAddict

PAAddict

Ok , so just to be clear. If we are looking for S/R Levels at the extremes of RTH H and L for the last couple of days. Would these be the levels to watch during today´s trading?

upload_2019-6-6_12-58-42.png

#60     Jun 6, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.