How to properly scan for opportunities?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by fatrat, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Yes, I use the Open Book too. Have 4 up, one for each level two box. But regardless of volume, you still need the level two box for execution purposes.

#11     Dec 13, 2005
  2. =============
    Fa-T-rat;
    Mainly doing intelligent work @ night, premarket ,post market;
    paperwork records plan entry, exit.

Use college rule notebook paper, so one page of prices,info, could easily turn into 20 or 200 pages worth of orderly prices.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.

Actually missed BR even though it was on my list for monday mourning;
    but it didn't matter because had entry, exit plans for 5 more, only 2 set up what i wanted,monday .
    Again ,research mostly already done , before trigger pulling:cool:

#12     Dec 13, 2005
  3. Steve,

Are these 8-10 stocks you look at from same or different sectors? Just curious. TIA.

#13     Dec 14, 2005
  4. Arnie

Arnie

Here's one method I use in Redi. I load all the OEX (for example) symbols in a Quote Monitor and then add 90 Day Avg Vol and Volume. Then I copy this to an Excel Spreadsheet. Then I put in a simple formula to look for stocks with REALTIVE high vol (Volume / 90 Day Avg Vol). Then I sort by this factor so I can see the stocks trading with the most relative high volume. Sometimes the best ones are not the highest but the next teir down. I usually do this after the first 5-15 minutes of trading. It just gives a one time snapshot. Doesn't work all the time, but once in awhile you find a real mover. I would really like to be able to set this up with a DDE link, but I'm technically challenged. :D

#14     Dec 16, 2005
  5. ilganzo

ilganzo

I look for stocks with high relative volume (at least 50% or more) and highest/lowest relative strength.

#15     Dec 17, 2005
  6. fatrat

fatrat

I might be able to help you out with the technical stuff. I'm a software engineer. I don't have access to REDI, though. I like this idea.

#16     Dec 17, 2005
  7. I read the topic sentence on all your posts (120) and I read all of many of your posts. I also read the context of some of the dialoguing you were doing with others.

It doesn't look too good to me. Sorry.

#17     Dec 17, 2005
  8. fatrat

fatrat

I don't know what the point of your response to me here is. If you're trying to belittle me because you're some awesome trader who knows everything and has 20 years of experience, then you're a jackass.

I made a few hundred dollars in Oct, Nov, and I just want to keep it moving up. If I happen to look like an idiot while getting information from others, so be it.

#18     Dec 17, 2005
  9. nitro

nitro

Trivial programmer project.

nitro

#19     Dec 17, 2005
  10. Arnie

Arnie

The problem isn't so much setting up the DDE link. Its the fact that the 90 Day Avg Vol field is not listed as one of those supported by REDI. In other words, REDI can't export this dat to Excel, according to the API documentation

#20     Dec 17, 2005