How to print out a long thread?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vienna, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Vienna

Vienna

This is probably a silly question, but I want to print out one of the really long threads in 50 page increments or so to read during commute. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

2. try the print icon to the right of your post...

3. Vienna

Vienna

Thanks I know that. When I tried it with one of these posts which end up to be 800 pages printed, it froze... and I have a dualcore.

4. Download it first and then paste it into a Word file.

Next, print the info and your computer will not freeze.

Have a safe and Happy New Year

Mark

5. The answer is probably painfully obvious, but how do you download a thread?

(I also am looking ot print out a long thread.)

6. File

Save As

[Save as type] it's the middle window - Text File (*.txt)

Will save the thread as a notepad file, you can copy and past the contents into a word document and edit it from there.

It will take some time to get rid of all of the extra stuff when you are processing the document, but there's the rub ... if you want to cut the content, you'll have to cut-out a lot of the crap.

JJ

7. JJ, I don't think that method works for longer threads -- anything over 1 page. File - Save Page As only saves the current page of the thread, i.e., at most 40 posts. Text or html, same problem.

Instead, I'd suggest this method:

Right-click on the Print icon [​IMG] at the top right. Then Save Link As (Firefox), Save Target As (IE), or similar command for other browsers.

Once the download *.php is complete, open it with your browser and use File - Print menu (and possibly File - Page Setup) to print a certain number of pages. No extra stuff... no clean-up necessary, to get exactly the same output as the Print icon itself would, if it didn't freeze. Importantly, any embedded charts or other graphical elements of the thread are preserved.

8. Yep...that's what I do and have never had any problems downloading nor printing large threads.

Edited: I've only done such for 300 pages or less.

I just tried downloading the following large thread and couldn't do it via Netscape nor IE...

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49586

Although it didn't freeze nor lockup...it gave me nothing after about 1min of trying to download it.

P.S. I'm sure Baron has a solution for the problem of not being able to download a very large thread.

Mark

9. printthread.php has a limit as to the number of pages it can output. I checked with ET webmaster about it....it's a known problem. Threads should be stopped after about 200 pages or so and continued as separate threads.

10. Vienna

Vienna

Thank you all for your input.

I wanted to print one of the really huge threads, it ends up to be over 1000 printed pages (!).

So there is no easy solution?

#10     Dec 30, 2006