How to prevent wireless routers from constantly need to be reset?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daal, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Daal

Daal

I never installed DD-WRT I'm just considering, specially due its auto-reset feature. They mainly use 1 main router and a bunch of access points connected to it by ethernet cable. The main one is connected by eth cable to the modem

#11     Jun 13, 2012
  2. what you are describing is what I do for a living - walk into a disaster and try to get it fixed for as little as possible.

Are the wireless routers bridged or are they devices each serving up their own subnets?

Do you have all of these random routers shoved in corners or ceilings or other places with bad air flow and hot temperatures?

Have you chosen each router to be on a different frequency to avoid conflicts from the wireless devices?

Have you assigned each device a main static IP address (that it can pull from the router via DHCP) to avoid IP address and MAC address conflicts?

Are you going into a business and doing this?

Last thing - are the routers being served via wired connections or are they daisy chained via wireless access points? (meaning does one router pull from the wireless of another... or does each router have its own cat 5/6 cable plugged into it)

#12     Jun 13, 2012
  3. Daal

Daal

Are the wireless routers bridged or are they devices each serving up their own subnets?
    -----------------
    I'm not sure what bridged means. As I said there is a main router and a few other ones connected to the main one. The secondary routers do not provide a unique gateway(they give the same one as the main router)
    -----------------
    Do you have all of these random routers shoved in corners or ceilings or other places with bad air flow and hot temperatures?
    ----------
    I believe they are reasonably well placed. Its winter here anyway

Have you chosen each router to be on a different frequency to avoid conflicts from the wireless devices?
    --------------
    I haven't done this. Should this improve their reliability?

Have you assigned each device a main static IP address (that it can pull from the router via DHCP) to avoid IP address and MAC address conflicts?
    ----------------
    I haven't done this but I'm not sure its needed, as I said they seem to be working as access points to the main router. If you connect to a secondary router I can't even access the admin panel because the gateway is the IP of the main one

Are you going into a business and doing this?
    ---------------
    Its for the apartment building that I live in

Last thing - are the routers being served via wired connections or are they daisy chained via wireless access points? (meaning does one router pull from the wireless of another... or does each router have its own cat 5/6 cable plugged into it)
    --------------
    Each router gets a ethernet cable from the main router

#13     Jun 13, 2012
  4. Mr_You

Mr_You

If the routers need to be constantly rebooted then they are using crappy firmware.

I would make sure to use any router that is compatible with OpenWRT. OpenWRT has active development while DD-WRT not so much.

#14     Jun 15, 2012
  5. I agree with that. dd-wrt seems to have dropped off the map. If openwrt is the new thing then just make sure you have the proper firmware - also make sure you know what you are doing when you flash those things because if you brick a router it is dead... which is worse than having to reboot it every ffew days.

#15     Jun 18, 2012
  6. nkhoi

nkhoi

7. Don't know if it helps, but I had the "wireless reset" problem when I had a several-years-old Belkin.

Got a new Linksys and it works fine. No problems.

#17     Jun 18, 2012