How to play the election

Discussion in 'Options' started by jordanwrong, Nov 7, 2016.

1. would it be more profitable to buy a straddle/strangle on the spy expiring nov9 or a latter expiration? is there a more profitable way to play this election?
    I think if crooked Hilary wins the market will still fall because of the descending triangle we are in as well as past history shows once a candidate is chosen the market tends to fall for the next few days. want to know your opinion, thanks

2. Why do traders want to trade the events pros stay away from?

Food for thought.

cdcaveman and comagnum like this.
  3. userque

userque

Professional alcoholics don't drink and drive during the Holidays...only amateurs.

cdcaveman, i960 and comagnum like this.
  4. ET180

ET180

To hedge. I don't want 4 years of that corrupt pay-for-play person in office. So is there a legal online gambling site where I can bet on her winning?

5. comagnum

comagnum

The rally has most likely already happened - today. The stock traders almanac shows the day before the election has finished up 81.3% of the time.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    jordanwrong likes this.
  6. favorable time of the year.

7. I agree,
    Tomorrow will most likely be somewhat choppy...the move already happened today o_O:confused:
    It's that old trading adage: trade the rumor, sell the news.

But you shouldn't necessarily get excited about news/events -- but rather have a steady, daily, simple trading game plan.

8. Ryan81

Ryan81

Some people have been saying that the Mexican Peso MXP (Globex /6M) is being traded bullishly as a proxy for an HRC win.

9. thaitye

thaitye

I'm sure you could figure out someway to bet on the election. But understand that it is merely speculation, and probably more of a gamble than playing an earnings call.

10. ET180

ET180

Not really...earnings are a lot less predictable.

#10     Nov 7, 2016