How to overcome the inability to accept small losses when wrong on trades?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by _eug_, Apr 15, 2018.

1. _eug_

_eug_

Lets keep this thread clean of nonsense please

#71     Jul 10, 2018
  2. padutrader

padutrader

yes or any Angelina or any Jolie

#72     Jul 10, 2018
  3. padutrader

padutrader

sorry that poster got me excited talking about F*cki.ng

#73     Jul 10, 2018
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I'm beginning to suspect you're trading "without stops" and/or "without adjusting your stops into a trail stop when a trade moves your way.

That in itself alone will allow your emotions to 100% control your decision making process. To take a little of that control back...you gotta use stops & trail stops.

Another possibility, you have not backtested your trade method even as a discretionary chart reader. Backtesting can help greatly with not exceeding your limits or thresholds or whatever...that in itself prevents becoming an emotional discretionary trader.

You'll be able to accept a small loss and you'll know how much time it will take for you to recover from that loss in comparison to your recovery from a big loss allowing you to better manage your risks (risk management).

wrbtrader

#74     Jul 10, 2018
    ironchef, Xela and Van_der_Voort_4 like this.
  5. _eug_

_eug_

You are right, I dont use hard stops or do any "backtesting" as in statistical analysis. I did spend lots of time studying historical charts as well as the live market to look for when the edge appears and how to trade it. I have mental stops and I am getting much better at sticking to them. That is how I prefer to trade.

#75     Jul 10, 2018
  6. padutrader

padutrader

what does that 'new mean see screen shot follow the red arrow:the yellow box new.png

#76     Jul 10, 2018
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I've never seen it before. Maybe ET owner is trying some new coding or implemented a "new post" to the thread icon ???

Check to see if it's under the same for everyone else or if you only see it on new posts to any thread.

Edit: I see it now to on "new posts" in other threads. Must be something new that was recently coded in the forum considering I've been here awhile and have never seen it before until now or I just didn't notice it before.

I saw it on your post and the post by the Op )_eug_.

Oddly, it disappeared when I went into my "Alert". Therefore, must be an alert that tells you that there's new posts in the thread that you're reading.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    #77     Jul 10, 2018
  8. qxr1011

qxr1011

increase the size of the order

#78     Jul 10, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  9. %%
    True; part of the picture. But a noise small stop simply wastes money/ commissions/time.In other words NO such thing as a business -without expences.:cool::cool:

#79     Jul 13, 2018
  10. _eug_

_eug_

So I am now break even on my trading efforts. 1.5 years of digging a deeper and deeper hole and now I have finally climbed out. Two swing trades reimbursed me for hundreds of small wins and small / big day trading losses. My last trade was on July 19th, it was closing the swing trade. I've now been patiently waiting for a good r/r swing trade in the equity indexes that can be held for a few weeks.

We will see if my patience is not really hidden hesitation.

#80     Aug 1, 2018
    formikatrading and ironchef like this.