How to negotiate commissions?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by persistence, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Hello all.

I'm not allowed to open an account with a firm if it's not locally registered with our country's SEC directly, so pretty much every company is out, I either have to go with Saxo or move to Europe. I currently trade in a stock market where daily volume is ~$1.5 billion, so it's a little illiquid.

I'll start with $250K and I qualify for Saxo's active trader criteria.

For US stocks, they charge $6 flat fee if you buy less than 1000 shares and $0.007 per share if you buy more than 1000 once. This is already a good deal for me, but there's no harm trying to lower my costs.

This would work great while trading stocks like Apple and Cisco in huge quantities, but if I buy 300 shares of a $8 stock I'd be paying $6 for $2400 worth of trade. That's a lot in terms of percentages.

Saxo also charges 3.5% CFD financing fee for all markets while IB charges 1.9% for US (they charge A LOT LESS than 1.9% if your volume is big) and a lot less for some other markets. As far as I know, their costs are pretty much the same on this (don't they borrow at the FED rates?), but it doesn't mean Saxo will get close to 1.9% if I push hard enough.

What do you think?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Canada?

3. No, I live in Turkey.

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I have no solutions for Canadian residents.

5. I should have mentioned, I'm sorry. I thought it wasn't that relevant since my options are limited.

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Is it Canada?

7. Metamega

Metamega

Quick google looks like it's Danish.

8. DB Trades

DB Trades

I know nothing about this topic other than to say you have little to lose asking. I know in the US I was only successful after spending some time actively trading.

Side note. I have always been curious how much money you need to have / how much you need to trade to get deep discounts. I have heard really rich people pay close to nothing to trade. But how large does an account need to be to pay close to nothing? 50% of standard rates? 75% of standard rates? It's not transparent.

9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

These are our active trader rates: https://www.lightspeed.com/pricing/commission/

Bob

10. DB Trades

DB Trades

#10     Sep 28, 2016