how to measure angle of moving average

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by wdbaker, Aug 11, 2002.

1. wdbaker

wdbaker

Can someone please tell me in layman terms how to measure the angle of ascent of a moving average in an excel spreadsheet, don't know trig but if you show me the formula I'll figure out how to use it. Example: I'm looking at my chart and the stock has moved from $5 to 5.5 to 6 to 7 to 9 based on a MA, I want to measure the angle of ascent from 5 to 9 say on a 5 min chart, these #s are not real but will serve as an example. One of the sides would be 9-5=4 but how do I solve for the other sides or angles??? Should have taken more than algebra.

Thanks in advance and hope I didn't cause you to much brain damage. :D :confused:

Bill

2. slope formula

M= (Y2 - Y1) / (X2 - X1)
    where m would be the slope , you could define the y axis as being the price and the x axis as being time

3. wdbaker

wdbaker

try a slope equation
    slope formula

M= (Y2 - Y1) / (X2 - X1)
    where m would be the slope , you could define the y axis as being the price and the x axis as being time

So this gives me the average increase/period over a given time period, not the angle or degree of ascent, this may be workable, still open for other suggestions on how to get the actual angle of ascent if anyone has an idea.

Thanks for your input, I am going to work with this and see how it goes.

Bill

4. The slope equation is not an average. It is the slope of the line represented by the points x1, y1 and x2, y2.

There is an excellent site called MrExcel.com. It is likely this question has been answered there. If not, post the question and the Excel gurus that work for Mr. Excel, or any of the other posters there will help you.

Good luck!

:)

5. Kymar

Kymar

Excel's SLOPE function is set up for what I think you want.

I don't know how you're inputting your MA values, but they should end up in one column as your "dependent variable," and time (cell/bar number, incrementing +1 per cell) would be your "independent variable."

Slope is the change per unit of time, based on the linear regression/best fit method. If you think about it for a second, you'll realize that other "measurements" of an MA's angle of ascent or descent will probably vary according to how (using a technical term here) squinched or unsquinched your chart is. I have no idea how you'd force Excel to reflect this, but, anyway, is that what you'd want?

6. wdbaker

wdbaker

I think this slope thing is just what I was looking for.

The other idea was nice in a perfect world but probably not reasonable considering all the variables.

You guys Rock! ! ! :)
    Bill

7. what, this isn't a perfect world?:p