How to manage so much information of Forum

Discussion in 'Trading' started by justtrade01, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Thank you so much Bolimomo for your helpful reply.

I am planning to store the data locally. Most of the data is already there in my system but in various different formats, as it was collected over a period of more then 5 years. Most of the material is in the form of articles which were interesting for me, from various websites related to trading and other news sites etc. Most of this material has been saved into Firefox Scrapbook "which does not have a good search feature" !
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/427/

it has got many thousand webpages saved inside it !

Now I am thinking about how to save these so many thousand webpages either in One Note or in some other software which gives me the ability to properly categorize this data and if possible then share this complete collection online. A good search feature is a must.

Most of my other data is either saved in Mind maps or in Word files, which will be easy to copy to any new software I think. The real problem is with the database that I have in the scrapbook.

#11     Sep 4, 2010
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

3. Since you have the data locally... if you want to share them with your associates, whatever software you are going to use to achieve this, they would need to have the same software in order to view the information. (Or at least have a viewer of the information.)

e.g. If you use OneNote to order the information, they would need to have OneNote too in order to view it. (OneNote doesn't have a free viewer.)

And sharing would mean you need to send them a big ZIP file or something everytime you have an update?

#13     Sep 4, 2010
  4. #14     Sep 4, 2010
  5. Are you sure that OneNote does not allow a free viewer ? I was thinking that it might allow something like google docs in which many people can view your spreadsheet online ! Is such an option not available in OneNote ?

And if I have any update then I can just update the respective article in Google Docs and I will not need to zip and upload any thing in order to do this update.

Is it not possible in OneNote ?

#15     Sep 6, 2010
  6. I don't know for sure. But I believe, from what I gathered, the OneNote file is of proprietary formats. You can try copying a OneNote "notebook" file to a copy that doesn't have Microsoft Office installed and see if you can read it. I don't think you can.

I am not familiar with google doc.

#16     Sep 6, 2010
  7. For most of the articles I am thinking that it is not necessary to save the complete material in my system. If I am able to find a good bookmark manager which provides various options for properly categorizing the bookmarks systematically and keeping them in various folders or segments or tree branch etc. then that will also work well for me, provided I am able to search within the material of those bookmarks through google or an any other search tool. But any typical bookmark manager wont work here, as I am talking about managing a few 1000 bookmarks and not just 100 or 200 bookmarks.

#17     Sep 6, 2010
  8. I think managing 1000+ bookmarks would not be an issue. Adding your own comments/remarks to any given URL may not be an issue.

But your requirement of having a full-text search on the contents of those 1000+ pages (and only those 1000+ pages that you specified) can be an issue.

OneNote does build an index on all the text in your notebooks I believe. Because text searches are pretty much instantaneous.

#18     Sep 6, 2010
  9. Why not just cut & paste it or take notes to a word-processing document? I have a markets folder which is divided into sub-folders by subject (e.g. investing, trading, daytrading, research, brokers, message boards, blogs, data-providers, strategies, stock picks, trading vehicles, exchange info etc) and just stick documents into there. I have one huge document for note-taking and I periodically summarize & cull from there to add to my main documents.

#19     Sep 6, 2010
  10. Which social book marking site is good in this regard, which will allow me to keep the bookmarks in proper folders and which allows the highlight of important things also ?

Thanks

#20     Sep 6, 2010