How to make money shorting Google

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by peilthetraveler, Dec 20, 2005.

1. cramer is getting off the goog train. got to give him credit. he was right.

Google Now Looks Set to Stall

By James J. Cramer
    RealMoney.com Columnist
    12/23/2005 4:24 PM EST
    Click here for more stories by James J. Cramer
    I'll declare victory on my $450 price target with Google's $446.
    Google can't advance without another quarter under its belt.
    I am not a bear on Google, but I believe Yahoo! will now catch up.

Has Google (GOOG:Nasdaq - commentary - research - Cramer's Take) topped out? I know that it feels like it to me, and I didn't like the reaction it got to the wild-high price target that I heard the other day. I also know that Doug Kass, of sister site Street Insight, has turned very bearish on the name.

I just want to declare victory on it. My last public projection on Google was that it would go to $450 this year, and sure enough it went to $446 and then failed. That's just a rounding error, as far as I am concerned, and I am willing to say we have seen the high for the year.

I don't believe the stock can advance without another quarter under its belt; Goog's just done too much with old information. Time for more data points. My prediction is that the stock will stalls -- but note, I am not a bear on it -- and that Yahoo! (YHOO:Nasdaq - commentary - research - Cramer's Take) now will play catch-up.

#11     Dec 23, 2005

2. anyone with two-thirds of a brain could have called that...

i did a month ago. (and have sometimes been acussed of "it not all there" in the head:D )

see...http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59622&highlight=Goog

funny thing is...it only takes like 10 minutes of work to figure it out. all Cramer is, is a big name...wouldnt be surprised if half of his "picks" are done by someone who works for him.

RT

PS: i dont find it very professional "declaring a victory" of the market...sounds like a newbie:p

#12     Dec 24, 2005
  3. I didn't see the show that day, but I thought I saw a lot of discussion somewhere that cramer made a comment on his show one day two weeks ago that google will hit 490 by the end of 2005; now he declares victory on his call of 450; which is it?

Either way, the guy was right for at least 200 points, you gotta give credit where credit is due, but he sometimes seems to have selective memory about some of his comments.

#13     Dec 24, 2005
  4. Retired

Retired

Don't short yet. S&P 500 is any day now.

#14     Dec 26, 2005
  5. he has said on his show that goog could go higher than 450 but his target has always been 450. i think he is smart to ring the register. bound to be a lot of tax motivated sellers after jan 1.

#15     Dec 26, 2005