How to make $1.8 billion in 1 weekend

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by pinetboltz, Jul 8, 2019.

1. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

i remember someone on ET was talking about the possibility of those in the know trading off a secret "inside channel" on macro developments and making huge gains

i guess the theory has gone mainstream now: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/07/the-mystery-of-the-wall-street-trump-trades

their math is that with +84 points x $50/pt * 420,000 contracts = +$1.8 billion gain over the Osaka G20 weekend

quite spectacular, prob done with less work than george soros' black wednesday trade too

jys78 likes this.
  2. Vanity Fair, where high school journalism dropouts end up.

greggraz, comagnum and gkishot like this.
  3. dozu888

dozu888

wasn't there a story not long ago someone YOLO'ed and shorted like gazillion shares of AAPL and went bust?

jys78 likes this.
  4. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

The upside though, is they occasionally print the juicy details other publications dont

5. destriero

destriero

I heard that too. He shorted at 200 and it traded in a range of 170 to 214 in the ensuing months. 30 is a larger number than 14.

#integers

6. maxinger

maxinger

The sentence seems to be incomplete.

It might be :
    How to make $1.8 billion in 1 weekend and
    lose $1.8
    billion next weekend.

It is important to earn $$$ consistently every week.
    This way, you can increase your lot size and your account will grow exponentially.

7. Hey guys I bought 2 puts on SPY last week and sold them today at a 40% profit, am I a trader now.

I don't think you have to have inside information, just bet one way or another. If the trader was wrong, he wouldn't lose $120 million, maybe a few tens of millions. Besides, knowing Trump what do you think he is going to say? No deal? He is toast.

pinetboltz likes this.
  8. ironchef

ironchef

Where did it say they lose $1.8 B next weekend?

9. vanzandt

vanzandt

"420"
    Now why 420?

Hmmmm.
    I like a good conspiracy theory.
    Now who do we all know and love that likes to use that number? And... got in trouble for it.

Obviously he'd use an untraceable proxy, he's waaay too clever to ever get caught... but he is crazy and he certainly knows all the right people to pull it off. His ego though... it needs fed. He'd want people to know it was him. Isn't there actually some kind of (whatever they call it) thing in psychiatry where people that do really off the wall stuff like to leave their mark behind? Like a serial killer that always leaves something specific behind at each scene so everyone knows it was them?

Now before you all write this off... I mean I am half-ass joking, but its not that far of a reach really. Considering the fact our (beloved) "person of interest" is currently in the process of sinking well over $5 Billion dollars in a Shanghai factory... I'm gonna say its pretty safe to assume he has a direct line, or damn close to a direct line, to ole' Xi Jinping himself.
    And its not like he doesn't need the money. I bet Xi likes him too.

Oh well.... I guess we'll never know.
    ... 420. "Funding secured".
    Hmph.
    :rolleyes:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/31/elon-musk-on-big-plans-for-china.html

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  10. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

yea, i see the asymmetry of it

it's just that my first impression reading the report was that it seem like someone knew what was going to happen and acted on it with great confidence

i mean, sure, they could have simply 'analyzed' the situation and risked a downside of "few tens of millions" -- but unless they got very solid info somehow, it's hard to imagine some institutional trader gambling their career on some weekend development, eg the entire SocGen prop trading team was dismantled bc they reportedly lost in the range of $20mm over a whole year

so chances are it's a group of entities w/ very deep pockets and very reliable info

#10     Jul 8, 2019
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.