How to lose 7.2 billion?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Pekelo, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Right on target. at a small minimum they could have lowered the loss.

I would add that they could have sold calls and bought puts to begin but thats just adding to it.

maybe giving the bank a little more time to unwind would have helped put into place offsetting options but it appears they just knee jerked. Some serious jr high trading (and that was the best trader they have???)

#11     Feb 6, 2008
  2. I am in a slap happy mood right now...How to lose 7.2 billion..very easy question. Listen to Cramer!

#12     Feb 6, 2008
  3. It`s nice in theory, but remember SG doesn`t have a garantee that the Fed will intermeeting cute 75 basis points, pretty rare event to base your whole trading strategy on. How much pain were they willing to take, if the Fed didn`t follow up with a cut, the situation in Europe could have been exacerbated the following tradind day, panic begets more panic, stops hit, computer sell programs,etc.

The fed action changed the momentum, but in retrospect, it does appear that there were other options available to SG to liquidate in a more orderly fashion, but remember Amaranth, once traders know somebody is in trouble, they make it twice as hard to get out of those positions. See Mr. Arnold

#13     Feb 6, 2008
  4. Mr. Kerviel had better tread verrry carefully from now on.
    If he commits just two more disciplinary infractions of equal or greater magnitude, SocGen would gain full authority under French law to petition the State Labor Board for permission to fire him! :eek:

#14     Feb 7, 2008
  5. Market particpants = ET members ??? :D :D :D

#15     Feb 7, 2008
  6. lol that made me laugh:D i love the frenchies!

#16     Feb 7, 2008
  7. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Please, give my fellow frenchman Jerome a break...

Everybody knows a lot of good traders blow up at least once...Not a reason to take such a drastic decision...

:D

#17     Feb 7, 2008
  8. Cutten

Cutten

He probably read somewhere that you should "let your profits run".

#18     Feb 7, 2008
  9. That .75 cut was all because of socgen. I remember looking at the oversees markets that sunday night and saying to myself "if the FED doesnt cut big by tomorrow the dow will crash".

#19     Feb 7, 2008
  10. eagle

eagle

Pick one of the ET members. :D

#20     Feb 7, 2008