How to Learn Price Action

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SoCalTrader619, Feb 12, 2008.

1. lindq

lindq

I would suggest precisely the opposite. But that's what makes a market!

#11     Feb 12, 2008
  2. Are you serious? No way, you dont learn to read and trade price action well by going AGAINST the buyers and sellers. That skill comes later on after you've identified how to be on the right side of trends first. Then, as you grow into a mature and able trader, you'll start to see how to properly take advantage of counter trend. And yes, there is big money in counter trend trading but its more difficult and thats why I would say noobs would be better off taking Dustins advice and then,eventually, move to doing both.

#12     Feb 12, 2008
  3. I've said this before, but I don't think anyone has really tried to learn it. Learn how to use a P&F chart. It is the truest reflection of supply and demand you will ever see on any chart. You don't need any indicators. You don't need volume. You instantly can see support and resistance without drawing any lines. Since the chart has no time interval it cuts out the noise of the market. I'm sure there are other ways as well, but once you truly learn how to use P&F you will never go back to anything else.

#13     Feb 12, 2008
  4. Ok, but first they need to learn to consistently define and read, "What is Strong and what is Weak" and to consistently define the "Trend" of the chart they are trading.

#14     Feb 12, 2008
  5. HG, post a P&F chart of a common index and designate the timeframe or chart increment and I will try to match it with a CVB (Constant Volume Bar) chart for a comparison.

#15     Feb 12, 2008
  6. eagle

eagle

Price, Volume, and Speed of the price movement. Past chart doesn't help much, only real-time quote allow you to see how quickly and intensely the price is moving upward or downward, especially upward.

Any news on board members change, business, quarterly report, projection of profit, investors sentiment, earth quake, ..., and you name them; they all have a unique consequence, it does result a price change smoothly or harshly. Since they are too many and even infinite, so why pay attention too much on them. Why not just pay attention on its result, the price movement.

#16     Feb 12, 2008
  7. The eagle has landed.
    Well stated.

#17     Feb 12, 2008
  8. Below is a 1 point p&f with 3 point reversal.

When I trade futures I trade with this, a .75 chart, and a .5 chart.

When they are all in agreement or close to agreement I pull the trigger. I set my target at the previous low column of 0's if I am short, or the previous high column if I am long.

#18     Feb 12, 2008
  9. Ok, I'm lost. Was this a chart of the ES going into the close today? You have to give me a day and time there HG. lol

#19     Feb 12, 2008
  10. LOL, sorry. Yes it was.

#20     Feb 12, 2008