How to know when you've "made it" as a trader

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NoDoji, Jun 1, 2012.

1. NY is funny.

I "worked" for a sanatation "foundation" for a while. I actually was offered a 24A site in NYC and one of two islands on the East side of Manhattan.

We lost 3million tires in the fire in W Va.

All of that was a generation ago (my definition).

Today the energy recovery value outweighs everything else.

Landfills were very slow to learn that tires do not decay and they are axle hazards to municipal collection equipment.

I would say that in those times when the muni's could not compete with "for profits", waste management was a tough muni deal.

In muni waste we were kept out of Mass because, after providing heating fuel to all municipal buildings and schools, we still could not keep the municipality operating our installations from making a profit.

Now, there is a "green" aspect.

Being about 80, I have decided to take the plunge and buy "filled" landfills and mine them and do real estate on the former land fill property. It is relatively easy to read newpapers from 1900.

I did combos of dairy or feedlots and land fills (methane) to use de-rated catipillars (2500 HP) connected to AC generators.

Getting paid the lowest price for electricity was a fun thing. I had to file in DC to get through "who keeps the connectiion spares" to be a responsibility of the power company.

There is no position outdoors you can put a tire in and not breed mosquitos. But you can make tire log cabins and fill them with hardwood leaves and grow tons of clean potatoes when you rebuild the cabin for next year. The potatoes process the retained water.

In Tucson our neighborhood is submitting a shade tree project for approval. 300 trees net 18K profit. Rain is caught by curbing cut outs and stored in tire "wells" to allow aleppo pines to grow very fast. The Pinchot neighborhood in Phoenix was planted by Eleanor Roosevelt in that Depression. Today, the pines top 80 feet and cause a 15 degree drop since there are no "heat islands". Today in that area they are expanding several city blocks each year (the citiy is gifted the trees and their maintenance). They have canals in Phoenix for irrigating lawns and trees and cotton plantations (the famous long staple "Pima" cotton). In Tucson, tires and normal rainfall replace canals.

#11     Jun 5, 2012
  2. The intent of this thread is humor but one way you know you've "made it" is when you don't remember the last time you wondered if you've made it and you just know that if you stay sharp you can spend time in front of the screens and extract. Staying sharp does require daily effort, however.

It also helps that you haven't had a job in years and yet you've always been able to send money to family who request it and everything you see around you in your trading room has been bought with profits.

#12     Jun 5, 2012
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

All right, Mate, I confess:

[​IMG]

#13     Jun 5, 2012
  4. ah...breaker breaker One Nine-- that's a big Ten Four good buddy!
    :D

#14     Jun 6, 2012
  5. Welcome back NoDoji.

#15     Jun 16, 2012
  6. From my perspective I feel any idiot who derides p & l posts are complete envious losers. As emg points out 95% plus just lose..it is supported from the few who post p &l :)

#16     Jun 16, 2012
  7. ggold

ggold

NoDoji , I'm very happy your back. I hardly look at Elite Trader any more since alot of the good traders just quit posting after being harrassed. I' ve learned alot from you and would just like to Thank You .

#17     Jul 6, 2012