how to know future earnings date?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by oldhand, May 13, 2013.

1. oldhand

oldhand

What's the most handy way (on-line) to tell what are the future dates for earnings reports? Often, the company would report it a week or two in advance through news release, but not always!

This is where I've found it very difficult to decide when to enter a trade when I am not sure when they'll report earnings!

Your experience or suggestions please.

A very good example was Gold Field Corporation when it released 1st quarter report on May 9, 2013. I did my research beforehand and noticed it released 4th quarter earning of 2012 on March 26, 2013. So I thought the 1st quarter earning date would be about 3 months away.

GV was trading around $3.05 and close to a good support and I bought it. A few days later on May 9 it released earnings and I was in deep loss. This could have been avoided if I could know when they'd report the earnings. It's always one of my rules not to get into a position a few days before earnings report.

2. check the website of the company or call them.

3. Check the earnings whispers website. Mostly good info, sometimes bad. Not affiliated with them.

4. Have you looked at earnings.com?

I've only just started using it so I can't say how accurate it is, also far out it does give a weekly span for many stocks.

5. oldhand

oldhand

Thanks for the reply. Earnings.com did not foretell May 9, 2013 earning release for Goldfield Corp (neither for any other on-line recources that I've checked). Phoning the company may get the run-around with no accurate dates either.

More suggestions?

6. The other one I use is finviz.com, because the stock screener allows me to load a batch of ticker symbols and the Financial tab gives earnings dates.

It is not as timely as earnings.com (gets better closer to earnings season), but is more convenient to use.

I usually compare dates and use the earlier one to be safe.