How to invest?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by jrlvnv, Jul 22, 2013.

1. jrlvnv

jrlvnv

Not really interested in "trading" anymore. Leaning on long term investing. Looking for info/books/other websites that contain some good info on long term investing. Thanks

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Non Correlated diversification should be a start.

3. Value Averaging by Edelson.
    Mebane Faber's stuff is pretty interesting. He's got a book (Ivy Portfolio), but you can get the majority of his methods by reading his online paper.

4. buy SPY, reinvest dividends, sell covered calls or cash secured puts to satisfy your need to trade

5. If you are willing to put in the effort, The Intelligent Investor is highly regarded.

For heads-up type analyses, seekingalpha.com is good. I have them on my twitter feed to keep an eye on what's cooking.

6. drcha

drcha

Agree with above---read Faber's stuff. See the links on his site: www.mebanefaber.com.

Consider a membership to www.aaii.com. Inexpensive, and you can meet some like-minded people if you go to the local meetings.

Lots of good info out there on dividend investing. Check out the monthly spreadsheet at www.dripinvesting.org. Dividend achievers have historically beaten the S&P 5 overall, and in bad years (though not always in good years), with less rock and roll. You need to use payout ratios to buy these--don't buy high-yield names that cannot sustain their dividend. Geraldine Weiss has some good ideas (I don't recall the name of the site but you can google it.)

Lots of good ideas on www.cxoadvisory.com. I think it is $150 to join, but worth it.

Read Gibson's book on asset allocation. You can use ETFs to accomplish this; they are all listed on www.morningstar.com.

I'm not in the business and not affiliated with any of these. I like to trade a bit, but mainly do it by using options to get some leverage on some of the above techniques. I'm not a day trader--more like a week trader or a month trader. It is easier to go from being a trader to being an investor than vice versa. As a former trader, you'll understand that a system (which you still need) has both entry and exit rules. You'll still need a well-defined plan, but you won't need to spend so much time working it. Like trading, though, you gotta follow it.

Personally, I do not find IBD helpful. Yes, they have rules for entry and exit, but these are ill-defined, IMHO. I've taken a couple of their courses, and even the IBD experts argue about cups and handles and such. Pictures produce head scratching: moving averages don't lie. So I take a pass on IBD, but mention it here in case you want to check it out, since a lot of people like it.

Stay away from sites that sell you their stock picks or their current recommendations. Any "system" you use should be transparent, not proprietary.

7. K-Pia

K-Pia

Barbell strategy. (Taleb)
    90% allocated in safe investments.
    10% allocated in risky investments.
    To simplify ...