How to increase the number of post per page

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by schizo, Apr 9, 2020.

1. schizo

schizo

In the old days, we were allowed to choose from the pulldown menu how many posts we could see in a given page. I think the range was between 10 and 100. Right now, I can only view 10 posts at a time. I would like to increase this to 100 (or more) but I can't find the option to do this in the settings.

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

There's no such setting to adjust with this particular setup.

3. schizo

schizo

That's what I'm saying. Hence, I'm requesting that you implement it in the setup. Or are you saying that is not possible?

4. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Sal We love you … It's like watching Tony Gwynn go 4 for 5

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

It's not going to happen because it screws up links to thread pages. For example, let's say a thread has 300 posts and you have your preference set to 100 posts per page, but the default setting is 10 posts per page. Page 3 of the thread for you would contain posts 201-300, but if you ever copy and pasted the URL to that page 3 in an email or on another website and somebody clicked on it, it would show only show posts 21 - 30 for them because the default setting is 10 posts per page for an unregistered user or a member with the default setting, So page 3 for them would be drastically different than your page 3. That means they wouldn't be seeing the page of posts you were trying to reference at all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    .sigma likes this.
  6. schizo

schizo

I dig it. But I notice there are numbers associated to every post, which is found just beneath each post. The problem you listed could easily be solved should you reference it to the post number rather than to the page, no? Anyway, it's not a big deal. I thought this was something that you could easily fix. If it's too much trouble, don't worry about it. Thanks!

upload_2020-4-9_21-6-26.png

.sigma likes this.
  7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

We can't change how the internet Is indexed by search engines, and currently that's by page URLs, not post URLs. The software you referenced in your first post was created before the era of Google, which is why it had that posts-per-page setting. But now that Google is such a huge part of sending traffic to any website, pages must be consistent in the content they contain for both the search engines and for users.

monet likes this.
  8. In real life, it is hardly possible