How to improve my risk management for daytrading.

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by GotherL, Feb 4, 2020.

1. %% Good idea in the sense you have to plan it. another way to improve risk management is study not just charts but ones own equity trades/investments.................................

#41     Feb 28, 2020
  2. Great thread as I am working on my risk management as well.

Everyone talks about risk and money management, but rarely anyone talks about learning the craft First, then go risk and make bets.

#42     Mar 6, 2020
  3. Very good thread here. I am in the same boat as you.

I agree with others with keeping risk small,.., 0.5 to 1% of account if you have no identified edge and consistent profitability track record. Even afterwards.

Keep this in mind. Along with risk management, money management, mindset there is craft/education/training.

I would say keep risk to 1% of capital ongoing for now. BUT most importantly, is how do you want to trade and build your skill.

The reality is, put real money to the bank until skill set is developed and consistent profitability is illustrated and verified. If you want to trade real money, please go small as possible so you have a long lasting career.

#43     Mar 6, 2020
  4. easymon1

easymon1

5. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

It's a lot more complicated... nothing to do with % of account, that is too loose.

It's all about scaling and dynamic position sizing. With super tight stops and wide range clean/tight strong consistent charts usually in the $15 - $40/share range, with volume at least 15k/minute for liquidity.

Start small size eg I usually start with tiny 20 - 50 share trades and martingale/add from there.

Example: I just banked 7k profit this past two weeks daytrading and swing trading TVIX SQQQ UVXY etc. All positions were built 20-50 shares at a time, scaling up and down, several hundred small trades.

I had red days up to 500ish and green days as profitable as 2k. I paid zero attention to %ages, lots of attention to cost basis per share and total $ of capital per position.

Successful trading like this is ALL about minimizing upfront risk to absolute tiny as possible, with tiny initial positions way under 1%.

(That is why I abhor the bullshxt so called daytrading young jerks running chatrooms supposedly trading 1000 or more shares at a time of cheap stocks they frontrun, that is total orchestrated phony bs.)

Plus its useful to get good at recognizing overbought and oversold charts.... eg though I'm sure SQQQ TVIX UVXY etc will soon continue up, I decided to cash out today since they ran up quickly and risk of them pulling back on Monday is at least as high as a continuation. I only trade when I have a clear edge with rockstar setups like TVIX was when I alerted my members for long entry setup once it broke out over $41 earlier.

Instead, learn how to trade small, trade safe. And no, none of us are going to become instant million dollar traders or achieve financial freedom quickly or turn tiny accounts into six figures or be right 80% of the time, that is bs.

For risk mgmt I use 40cents max for open range breakout scalps (meaning if I buy 50 shares at $20.40 per share I stop out if it goes down to $20), and whole number + hod/lod and prior day s/r levels etc.

Bonus tip: never use margin til you're somewhat consistent in a cash account, and don't trade cash til after you're consistent in sim/demo.

Trading is a grind and hard as fxck. #truth

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    #45     Mar 6, 2020
  6. Bree98

Bree98

I agree with you. Education and learning are the most necessary parts in trading, but hardly is anyone serious about them. Traders should understand that forex is really vast and so complete understanding of every sphere is very important.

#46     Mar 27, 2020
    SimpleMeLike likes this.
  7. John_09

John_09

Risk management is a very essential part of forex, those who fail in this part, never get consistent profits from their trades.

#47     Mar 28, 2020
    Teryc20 likes this.
  8. Teryc20

Teryc20

That's right! Risk has to be managed properly, else funds are at a great loss.

#48     Apr 16, 2020
  9. I think risk management helps cut down the losses and also protects a trader's account from losing all of his money.

#49     Apr 16, 2020
  10. I guess, you need at lest 15k to day frame.
    You will divide this amount to three portions 5k per day. Your money needs two days for transaction processing therefore you need 5k per day. During the day buy by smaller portions like 10, 25 shares per transaction. Hope, you have free grade if not change your trade platform.
    You can use your 5k during the day fully.
    When you improve as trader I suggest to have 45k an you will use 15k for trades and 30k as buy more in case if you investment dive in crush time. So you can buy in deep down.
    And last never trade on your live support money. Good luck.

#50     Apr 16, 2020