How to improve my risk management for daytrading.

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by GotherL, Feb 4, 2020.

1. There is a much longer answer to this in this blog post I've just done. I scraped a couple of quotes from this thread as well :)

https://qoppac.blogspot.com/2020/02/what-is-right-way-to-set-stop-losses.html

GAT

#21     Feb 6, 2020
    ironchef likes this.
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Very helpful.

Question for you:

In options, when net long, I used premium paid as my stop, but when short, I had trouble deciding if and when I should stop loss and get the hell out. Do you have any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

#22     Feb 6, 2020
  3. When you're thinking about getting out, are you already delta hedging? To be clear are you;

- selling naked vol, no hedging, and to 'get the hell out' closing the option position
    - selling naked vol, initially no heding; and asking at what point to begin delta hedging?
    - selling vol, delta hedging, and to get the hell out closing the option position and the delta hedge

GAT

#23     Feb 7, 2020
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Only trade single legs, no combinations. I don't delta hedge. Often writing puts naked, calls covered.

#24     Feb 7, 2020
  5. Same principle. Set a max $ loss then when the p&l of the package hits it, close the position. The exact price of the underlying that relates to will obviously change over time.

GAT

#25     Feb 8, 2020
  6. ironchef

ironchef

Thanks. I appreciate you input.

Have a good day.

#26     Feb 8, 2020
  7. in daytrading you have limit loss and daytraders risk like $1000 that is it. and prices don't change much during trading hours.

it's over the weekend or overnight that 'news' can crash the price like 50% overnight for stocks that blows up accounts.
    that is the reason daytraders don't hold overnight, they are traders and can open a position next day
    daytraders penny cheap in commissions. way cheaper than retail commissions.

in futures,,it's max 5% the market will go up or down it's called limit down..it's not normal for prices to crash 5% in day. the exchange would put a lock limit on the instrument. stocks and penny stock,,there is no lock limit. it can drop 90% or 95% overnight. or increase 500% overnight..stocks are like options where as commodities index futures are more stable prices and don't change much on a daily basis.

a 5% change in stock is minimum,,but if the 'market' crashes 5% it's considered a 'catoshproe or 'CRASH'

#27     Feb 8, 2020
  8. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Day Traders don’t risk $ but %. They trade on margin vs cash. They are active vs passive.

But stocks ain’t like options.
    A square ain’t like a cube on steroids.

#28     Feb 8, 2020
  9. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

From my colleague, Joe Easton who follows stock index futures very closely daily:

When trading ES you need to consider points, more than account size and certainly more than percentages. Due to the high leverage using percentages equates to irrelevant information. For example; risking 2.5% of a $2000 account is $50. That is one point on one contract for the ES. This is very fantastical thinking to to risk 1 pt each day and have success. Tight stops and precise entries are imperative for profits. However with this small of a risk you would have to pick 1 pt from the high or the low to have a profitable result. In my opinion 4 to 5 points risk per day to try to get about a 3:1 return to risk. If this amount is too much risk, you should consider trading micro futures until your balance is greater.

#29     Feb 10, 2020
    SimpleMeLike and Sekiyo like this.
  10. birdman

birdman

More details on Kelly Criterion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_criterion

I must confess, the criterion is a little more than i can take in and utilize, but certainly interesting. I'm told of one trader who swears by Kelly Criterion, enjoys 87% win rate and claims $100k per week average profit.

#30     Feb 17, 2020
    Sekiyo likes this.