How to improve Java app efficiencies?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Lawrence Chan, Jul 27, 2007.

1. #51     Sep 20, 2007
  2. Guys, come on, just admit it - for real-time equities/options trading systems noting can beat C++. Use Java or Python is great for pilot systems, then code working system in C++.

You beloved Java garbage collector will kill you with garbage collector cycles lasting seconds when load is high... You have to pay for every luxury Java gives you. Java is a good language, but just not for this domain.

#52     Sep 21, 2007
  3. Guys, come on, just admit it - for real-time equities/options trading systems nothing can beat C++. Use Java or Python is great for pilot systems, then code working system in C++.

You beloved Java garbage collector will kill you with garbage collector cycles lasting seconds when load is high... You have to pay for every luxury Java gives you. Java is a good language, but just not for this domain.

#53     Sep 21, 2007
  4. Guys, come on, just admit it - for real-time equities/options trading systems nothing can beat C++. Use Java or Python is great for pilot systems, then code working system in C++.

[/QUOTE]

We all know about "religious language wars". I'm not gonna fall for this one... Java GC does NOT take SECONDS. Maybe in the hundred millisecond range infrequently s is more like it, depending how you configure the runtime.

The term "realtime" is a relative thing anyway...

Oops, I promised not to say anything in our defense. :) 'Nuff said.

#54     Sep 21, 2007

5. We all know about "religious language wars". I'm not gonna fall for this one... Java GC does NOT take SECONDS. Maybe in the hundred millisecond range infrequently s is more like it, depending how you configure the runtime.

The term "realtime" is a relative thing anyway...

Oops, I promised not to say anything in our defense. :) 'Nuff said.
    [/QUOTE]

Full GC cycle takes seconds even with the fine-tuned GC parameters in an application with a good load (of course, we are talking about soft real-time trading systems here).

#55     Sep 21, 2007
  6. Well, yes, this is "soft" realtime trading. Using an operating like Windows XP Pro is a "soft" realtime OS anyway, and "internet" network delays are nothing like hard pipes to exchanges, and so on...

The meaning of "real time" is often simply "plenty fast enough".

Using IB's TWS on standard DSL, for example, I bump a live Globex-based order in 120 msecs round-trip. And I analyze somewhere up to around 10,000 messages per minute from TWS market depth, etc. For some, that's child's play; for others' it's ridiculous overkill... it depends.

This is only "soft" real time trading, of course, but it's all on a continuum of what's "fast enough" to do the job. Systems are only as fast as the slowest link in the chain anyway.

You're right, of course.

#56     Sep 21, 2007
  7. If you have a decent machine, this flag will solve all your problems

-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

#57     Sep 21, 2007

8. The suggestion to use server VM instead of client VM makes a huge difference to potential performance. I'm not sure why we use the -client VM for anything where performance matters.

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3681/abeib?a=view

#58     Sep 23, 2007
  9. If your machine has only one or two processors then you should use these two together:

-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode

ref: http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/hotspot/gc/gc_tuning_6.html#icms

FWIW my current line for Sun Java is:

Code:
    j2se version="1.6+" java-vm-args=" -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -server -Xss128k
     -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:+ForceTimeHighResolution -XX:CompileThreshold=50 
    -XX:ThreadStackSize=192 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods 
    -XX:+RelaxAccessControlCheck -XX:MaxInlineSize=8192 -XX:-DontCompileHugeMethods 
    -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -Xnoclassgc"
    For jrockit-R27.3.1-jre1.6.0_01 the corresponding optimization is:

Code:
     -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -server -Xms256m -Xmx256m -Xns64m -XXaggressive:opt
    -Xgcprio: pausetime -XpauseTarget=250ms -XXcallprofiling

#59     Sep 23, 2007
  10. squeeze

squeeze

I am not sure why Java is so slow as C# is also managed and seems to be on average, just as fast as C++ in all the benchmarking I have done.

I have run tests on the C# garbage tester and found it does not get in the way of real-time performance at all. Process scheduling latency under Windows is the biggest source of problems for C# soft real-time systems.

#60     Sep 23, 2007