How to IMPROVE EliteTrader!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Scientist, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Well this wouldn't give people the flexibility to change their mind about particular individuals, it would be very short-term biased (biased on the messages posted in that particular time period voted for - when would you vote?) and it would discredit the flexibility to change your mind about users over time.

So this is really not very flexible. It would be much better to give people's credibility the chance to evolve over time, in an intelligent way.

~Scientist

#21     Jul 4, 2003
  2. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Personally, I like the ignore feature the way it is.
    That way I can check if the poster I am ignoring "grew up" and is posting something worthwhile now. Of if I am curious as to what provoked the comment after a deleted post.

I have also used the kill feature and it does work. The offender is told to "shape up or ship out" or threads are moved to the appropriate forum quickly.

I think that the "trader" forum gets so much junk is that it is the first topic. Poor Inandlong having to read through all that mess. :( I would not like to be the moderator of that one.

#22     Jul 4, 2003
  3. No that wouldn't enhance it at all. This is an old and far-criticized idea of pseudo-democracy. You cannot give more powerful / rich / popular / smart people more votes. It creates problems.

It's bad enough that society amplifies this kind of thinking, but if you, for example, gave each American 1 vote for each $1 million in net worth, well you'd have Bill Gates casting over 50,000 votes, while most ppl would have no voice at all. This heavily distorts the results, since people's magnitude of voice should be unchanged by their status, whichever form it may be in.
    This is what democracy is all about.

Remember George Orwell's quote: "All animals are equal. But some are more equal than others..."

This is precisely what you're talking about. It's dangerous.
    Look at the current US Government and you'll know what I mean, and what it can do to the world.

Sincerely,
    ~The Scientist

#23     Jul 4, 2003
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Charging a fee doesn't seem to have hurt SI any.

#24     Jul 4, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

Maggots do grow up - they turn into pesky flies.

In fact, I have no seen the larvae much this weekend. Usually, "they" come out full force on the weekend.

nitro

#25     Jul 4, 2003
  6. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

True nitro.....they seem to be here weekends and in the summer. Does this tell us who we are dealing with? Bunch of idiot children with nothing to do when school is out.:eek:

#26     Jul 4, 2003
  7. There is a slight difference between social politics and a bulletin board system.

#27     Jul 4, 2003
  8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Yes there is Aphie,
    As Baron said.....he is King!
    :)

#28     Jul 5, 2003
  9. Why are there suddenly so many people who want to tell Baron how to run ET? If they're not getting hysterical about some poster who annoys them, they want to introduce big changes. ET is fine just the way it is.

I've used boards with rating systems, both for posts and posters, and it adds little or nothing. If you're on here for a day, you know who has something to say and who doesn't. Is it really so terribly hard to exercise the self-control not to read a thread or post? Frankly, there is a budding censorship sentiment that I find more than a little troubling. What's next, restricting chit chat posts to only PC opinions?

Charging would be a disaster. Probably half or more of the active members would drop out, including the most valuable ones, those that have knowledge to share. Like it or not, but a for pay message board is a tough proposition in the everything-should-be-free internet culture.

#29     Jul 5, 2003
  10. I wonder...

Why don't we have a trial "non-Moderated week" to see how well the moderators actually moderate.

I think some guys are narrow minded and ignore the whole picture of what's happening...

or maybe... reload the beta version for ET when it started...

I'm sure we'll be having a lot more crap in the threads... like

"
    Not that I mind all these extremely educational information... it's just too distracting.

#30     Jul 5, 2003