(How To) Hire A Programmer?What Precautions?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by jonnyy40, Nov 23, 2006.

1. andread

andread

experienced doesn't automatically mean talented.

#11     Nov 23, 2006
  2. Major issue:

Software development is such as esoteric field...
    That I do not see how a non-engineer...
    Could even evaluate programming talent.

One is very likely to have mediocre people bullsh*t you about what they can do...
    And waste your time/money.

#12     Nov 23, 2006
  3. You can take that to the bank...

cj...

#13     Nov 23, 2006
  4. andread

andread

exactly.
    I would say that wareagle's approach makes most sense, not only for security.
    I also think that there is a difference between software that "just works" and software that will be enhanced in the future. One of the biggest issues in software development is maintainability of the code: scalability, readability, good design, etc. That, in my opinion, is a major feature of the talented programmer.

#14     Nov 23, 2006
  5. You can take that to the other bank...

:D

cj...

#15     Nov 23, 2006
  6. 2006

Mechanical Entry + Discretionary Exit = The way to go IMO

#16     Nov 23, 2006
  7. andread

andread

I don't know why, I missed this one.
    Jonny, I want to say that once more: don't talk to people you don't know, specially if you want a long term relationship.
    You are a trader aren't you? Would you advice someone to give money to invest
    to someone unknown? Even if with credentials?
    Think about it.
    If you don't have someone you trust, find one. Don't rush

#17     Nov 23, 2006
  8. Just a thought.

One way to protect code would be to make some key variables programmable by the user, and have the programmer develop with fake values.

There are other things you could do along the same lines if you wanted to protect an idea.

#18     Nov 23, 2006
  9. The thought that goes into the design up-front is critical. Too often non-programmers don't express themselves with enough clarity to make the development worthwhile. As a hired-gun it isn't bad, as this just adds time and cost to the project which presumably you are being paid by-the-hour to do. But as far as getting the project done, lack of clarity is up-front and often unintended sabotage.

If you understand the crucial parameters of the system, it pays to have those created as inputs to the system. Unless the basic logic of the system changes, you should be able to control aspects of it without resorting to a re-code.

Again, it depends on what you are programming in. Each platform has it's own idiosyncrasies, language or data-wise, that only experience will identify. You may trust someone who can code, but if they have no experience with a particular environment, you are asking them to devote time to learn it. Time is money, and time ain't cheap.

#19     Nov 23, 2006
  10. panzerman

panzerman

YOU need to first put your ideas down on paper in the form of funtional and design specifications. Then once you find a developer, they will have something with which they can design an appropriate architecture around.

Don't forget the legal issues of intellectual property and nondisclosure.

#20     Nov 23, 2006