How to go about getting a job as a trader

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by NeedaUserName, Jan 25, 2010.

1. tomk96

tomk96

are you applying for trader jobs or clerk jobs? many firms hire clerks or trading assistants. most of these are with the intention of having their clerks/ta's become traders.

#11     Feb 3, 2010
  2. mynd66

mynd66

If you lose money trading then why would a firm want to hire you? If you make money trading then why would you want to work for someone?

#12     Feb 3, 2010
  3. Are you talking to me?

#13     Feb 4, 2010
  4. mynd66

mynd66

More of a general question. I don't get it, if I had my own trading firm why would I want to take in a trader that probably doesnt trade profitably... if and when he does then why wouldn't he just trade for himself and keep all the money? Doesn't make sense to me.

#14     Feb 5, 2010
  5. ken__0

ken__0

Id gather they start that trader out at a higher commision as he improves and his volume increases ,,, his rate in kind decreases..
    Payout structure etc so on forth.

Everyones gotta make a buck why ask why .......
    but you did so mayb the traders wife spends all his profits as fast as he brings it in,,, mayb to feed his ever compounding heroin addiction.
    I say why would anyone not wanna be around profitable traders, including profitable traders,,,
    Freud would say why the hell would anyone trade when they could have a trading firm.
    How does that make you feel ..:confused:

#15     Feb 5, 2010
  6. tomk96

tomk96

there are many different types of trading. some require a lot of capital. not all markets are great all the time. people like to have employees in many markets. the really good markets offset some of the slower ones.

there are a multitude of reasons why somebody would want to trade for another person and why somebody would want to back others.

#16     Feb 6, 2010
  7. Your post sounds like a b- High School term paper!

#17     Feb 6, 2010
  8. tomk96

tomk96

considering the post i quoted, i didn't think it deserved much effort

#18     Feb 6, 2010
  9. I am unimpressed.

Start a paper trading journal like some of the other big hitters here.

#19     Feb 6, 2010
  10. mynd66

mynd66

Ok but what happens when he becomes profitable and starts making the firm more money than they pay him? Unless he knows he is taking big risks, why would he not trade for himself and make %100 of the profits? If he doesn't have the ability to trade a certain size he can certainly get there if he is good.

.... I didn't
    sure ok

Yes trading firms exist and I'm sure they do for good reason. Clearly I am missing something and you understand the concept in which I don't.

If I made a killing for myself at home, I wouldn't leave to make less anywhere else.... being around profitable traders or not.

#20     Feb 6, 2010