How to go about getting a job as a trader

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by NeedaUserName, Jan 25, 2010.

1. I recently graduated college from a school ranked in the low 100s. I have a BS in physics and mathematics, and a masters in Mathematics. I want to find work with a trading firm, and in the past couple of months I have applied at places such as Optiver, IMC, SIG, etc.

I have not heard from any of the places that I have applied to, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to places that I could apply to.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions that would make me more marketable.

Thanks

2. do you know anyone who works at one these firms? go to college campuses where they recruit (chances are it will not be where you graduated and will require to travel to a top university job fair.

I have a friend who works at Optiver as a programmer, He went to University of Chicago, has a good resume and it took him a while to just get an interview at Optiver, then he had several rigorous interviews. Its a tough world out there.

3. Seriously avoid this industry like the plague, get as many medical certifications you can and find some rich MF doctors, and open an MRI center.

You can thank me later.

4. bigpapi

bigpapi

Why don't you try card counting?

5. Learn how to make money...

I went through the same thing as you 5 years ago. The answer was that nobody will give you answer because you are clueless on the market. So learn about the market and get yourself a junior job as a gopher for a desk.

Yes yes you have a masters in mathematics, but its toilet paper for a trading firm....

6. In this environment it will be hard unless you really stand above the crowd, in one way or antoher.

A friend of mine (physics PhD with zero finance background) got hired by UBS in 2006, at that time there were plenty others like him, apparently today its different.

Also math/physics persons get recruited for quant-jobs rather than trading positions.

7. that edge is dead :(

place small bets and then the card count is in your favor, as soon as you place a big bet the pit boss will be alerted as the dealer will yells "big bet coming in"

and they know what you are up too. Having a bomber come join you at your table....well good luck

8. bigpapi

bigpapi

That sucks, they must finally be catching up after that stupid movie, then again I never dropped more than a couple of hundred bucks on one hand. Poker's a good alternative, just have to work on your poker face :mad:

#10     Jan 28, 2010