How to get some sleep?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by JMowery1987, May 9, 2006.

1. toc

toc

On CNN one program mentioned that sleep is like a bank account with withdrawl and deposit features. If you do not give 6-8 hours a day then you walk around with 'sleep deficit' and have to make up for it by 'real sleep' not caffeine or other medications.

There is also something called the 'hypnotic sleep' and it is said that 15 minutes of hypnosis induced sleep is worth 4 hours of actual sleep because hynosis tends to shut down both the concious and subconcious parts of the brain. If your sleep problems persist then consult some thearipist and ask for a licenses hypnosis practioner. Special forces commandos are taught such self hypnosis tricks and can go upto 10 days having only 10 hours of sleep in total.

#31     May 9, 2006

2. Pickup your shit and leave next week or within this month.

Moving to a new place takes a lot of thinking, so much thinking you need to do it impuslively, so you don't sit around and think for the next 5 years. you are 19 years old you need to act now or lose the chance/will forever.

You want to live in new york?

Find a roomate in brooklyn/Queens/jersey city and train to the city while getting a part time job as a pizza delivery/ DJ/ Whatever that brings in the dough.

Most aspiring actors fly to California with $50 in their pockets, Bust their ass as waitors till they get something.

#32     May 9, 2006
  3. pattersb

pattersb Guest

simple solution ... down a 12'er... fall asleep

#33     May 9, 2006
  4. Lol, well I have the exact opposite problem..I cant wake up, I always seem to miss the first 1st hour-- hour and a half because when my alarm goes off, I always try to get that ooonnnneeeee last minute in before I wake up, before you know it, 60 minutes have gone by. (not good when your shorting and forgot to put in a stop the day before :eek: )

What I do is bring my cd player into bed and just put on something soft...like... aerosmith or journey..That should work

- nathan

#34     May 9, 2006
  5. See i've been thinking about this, because I have an elder aunt that lives in NJ. She has always invited me to come up and live with her.... that's why I've been thinking about it so much lately.

#35     May 9, 2006
  6. lp3yc

lp3yc

JM, please take this post as meant to help not as flaming.

I have come across several of your posts and what really strikes me is that your method of thinking is going to stop you from succeeding as a trader and will probably exclude a lot of happiness in your life.

One of the prime causes of insomnia is mental turmoil.

Many of your posts are filled with irrational anger and rage and obsessive behavior like staring at screens for 12 hours a day will definitely not help you.

For example, if you chose the only one aspect of your trading that if you improved would make a massive difference. e.g. finding a better entry on a Monday morning, and you spent half the time you spend posting here improving only this aspect, do you think it would make a difference?

If you are honest with yourself you will probably agree that your philosophies and beliefs are causing a lot of pain in your life.

With these beliefs and your lack of sleep, you are on a one way ticket to unhappiness on the trading express. I would suggest that you re-evaluate your thinking in all areas.

Something that changed my life many years ago and made me a LOT happier was the Anthony Robbins Personal Power II program.

Many traders have found this system excellent in changing their perspectives

In the brilliant words of Mark Douglas:

"At some point in time it will probably occur to you that your trading is simply a feedback mechanism to tell you how much you like yourself at any given moment"

and

"The more sophisticated you become as a trader, the more you will realize that trading is completely mental. It isn't you against the markets, it is just you"

How you think WILL shape your life.

#36     May 10, 2006
  7. JM,
    Meditation will not only make you feel and sleep better, but your trading may improve as well. Some benefits include:

deep relaxation
    relief from tension and fatigue
    energy enhancement
    better concentration
    improved memory
    stronger will power
    sense of inner calmness
    heightened self-confidence
    increased intuitiveness

Here is a reliable meditation technique that may be of assistance to you.

1) Sit comfortably in a quiet place, back straight, eyes closed.

2) Focus your attention at the tip of your nose at the point where your breath enters and leaves your nostrils.

3) Mentally observe your breath that is entering and leaving your nostrils. You are only to mentally observe the air that is entering and leaving your body through the nostrils and nothing else for the entire duration of this meditation. All you have to do is to mentally follow the air into the nostril for the entire duration of the inhalation (which may take quite a few seconds once your breathing slows done a bit) and again mentally follow the subsequent exhalation for its entire duration. Also witness the pause periods between in and out breath.

4) Do not alter in any way your bodies rate of breath, allow the breath to enter and leave at normal speed. You are to allow the breath to flow naturally at all times - do not hold it in or force it out.

5) After doing it for a little time one or more thoughts will crop up. Do not entertain these thoughts, you only have one task to do and that is to mentally follow your breath. Mentally push away any thoughts that arise and bring your focus back to your breath. Whatever thoughts crop up such as the days trading, anger, drowsiness, fantastic new plans, erotic thoughts, dreams of travel, amazing new insights etc. etc. etc., do not dwell on these mental intruders, push them away and/ or let them pass your sphere of consciousness and bring your attention again and again back to your breath.

Do this for as long as you feel like but at least 5 or 10 minutes to begin with - morning and evening and if you like you can take a meditation break when trading as well.

#37     May 10, 2006
  8. lp3yc wrote

"The more sophisticated you become as a trader, the more you will realize that trading is completely mental. It isn't you against the markets, it is just you"

That is a simple and profound statement. I am realizing that now. Great post.

#38     May 10, 2006
  9. BabaNamKevalam,

Good post, I will have to try that out. I used to practive a bit of TM, when I was stressed out in college and it worked very well. I also believe strongly that hypnosis and NLP can work very well too.

Dan

#39     May 10, 2006
  10. Havent read through the posts so dont know if someone has suggested this but it worked for me. It is actually a serious problem. I went through it for awhile. What worked for me was watching a video I have of one of LBR's lectures. My tv has a timer and I set it for 30 mins. I dont think ive ever seen it go off yet. When you watch something youve watched a hundred times before some kind of hypnosis takes over.

#40     May 10, 2006