How to get interview at real prop firm?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by PiggyBank, Nov 18, 2009.

1. my family up north owns a investment firm.. im not gonna put out what its called this isnt a promotion but easy ways to get around the gatekeepers... flirt.. talk to them tell them your calling to talk to them... be relentless send them presents.. thank you cards for considering maybe transfering you to someone important.. eventually theyll either laugh .. put you through cause they like you.. or put you through to get shut down because they dont wanna hear from u anymore... also maybe you should consider SMBcapital they have a program you pay to get into .. but they select the people from the training that are more apt to make them money and they bring them in to work with firms capital... they have a website go through it... after a short stint with another mid rung company which I by no means think smb capital is mid rung but anyways.. if you go that path it may serve u well.

#41     Nov 22, 2009
  2. also maybe an idea is if you think you can after being trained is to train a group of traders... start a private capital only fund and trade through a prop I know some firms will extend up to 500k to 1.5Mil to groups of profitable traders...

#42     Nov 22, 2009
  3. Thanks for your help, I will try that. I will also check out SMB, but if I have to pay for trading, I may as well stay where I am,. Can't hurt to check it out though. As for starting a group, that's gotta be less feasible than getting backed by a firm lol. I know you didn't mean right now, but I have to take one step at a time.

#43     Nov 22, 2009
  4. What about talking to your manager and sorting things out with him?

It's not a bad thing to take a break and go and earn some money before coming back to trading.

Actually, I would not be astonished for quality firms - salary and training - to consider your case if you showed you took full responsability for your situation, took a trading break and went to work hard to save up some equity, and came back more determined.

#44     Nov 23, 2009
    #45     Nov 23, 2009
    #46     Nov 23, 2009
  7. Piggybank,
    Great thread you've got going on here!!! Looks like I have some research to do about prop firms. With regards to your questions, I believe the answer is most likely that you don't have a chance and you should work around the problem. Especially with the economy the way it is, there are some smart people trying to be traders (10% joblessness???). Not only are you going to waste valuable time, but you will freaking go crazy.
    Believe me, I'd like to become a full time trader too, and I have capital (about $80k in my trading account) but I am pretty realistic and and I am waiting until I have at least $200k because I can't possibly see how I could live on my proceeds and grow with less. The main reason I would want to work at a firm is so that I can trade ideas with other traders, and I would want some smart (but cool) mofos to be there. Unfortunately, experience has shown me that dipsheets/jerks far out number the cool home-bros. I really don't want to trade other people's money (because of the pressure), but that is just me. I personally can't stand people monitoring me although I wouldn't mind some pions to do the grunt work. So my take is that a high pressure trading job would suck anyway.
    Think about it like poker, if you don't have the capital, then your strategy should be to stay in the game until your luck turns, not to make power moves. You're trying to be an aggressive trader too early. I believe also that you may be caught in a mental trap of trying to aggressively get out of a losing position which is of course how you will go completely broke and or on drugs.
    You've replied several times that "you don't know me". Well, good decision makers make decisions without all the information. Trading is only one example (you don't need to know every detail about the company). So I believe that a smart person could quickly evaluate your position (as did the HR guy who said he would not hire you).
    So my 2 cents is do it on your own or get a day job. Don't waste your energy because you aren't competitve and you are making a desperate play. Elite trading positions are for ultra-high IQ mofos that'll make your head spin. With that said, I've read some books of some boneheads that just persisted and eventually became good traders and their books are a testament to their dipsheetedness. But they learned to trade on their own through the school of hard knocks so you could do that. I guess your first lesson would be not to try trading without the capital.
    We understand your pain, homie, but in all honesty, I think the people that are trying to help you have taken the "female", nurturing mindset and are trying to make you feel better. With that said, I hope you prove me wrong.

-steps

#47     Nov 24, 2009
  8. Thanks man, I'll let u know what happens.

#48     Nov 24, 2009