How to get interview at real prop firm?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by PiggyBank, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Really?
    Buying and holding ain't that hard.

#11     Nov 18, 2009
  2. Alright I'm gonna attempt to be nice, but I don't understand why you keep asking me what I bring to the table. If you read my posts then you will understand what I mean, I'm not gonna start divulging personnal info on a public board. More importantly, your responses (Rosy), don't seem to pertain to the topic in any way. I don't have an interview, I want one.

And to trend follower, it is hard to buy and hold when you don't have enough dough to lock up in overnights, plus I mainly daytrade, not so much swing trading. I don't know a single daytrader thats doing well right now, in fact I know some pretty heavy traders that are down significantly on the year.

#12     Nov 19, 2009
  3. rosy2

rosy2

You get an interview/job by providing something that the firm wants. You bring something to the table. Its that simple. Send them a resume but not to hr.

#13     Nov 19, 2009
  4. Unless you have a pnl that stands out no firm will back you why would they you almost blew out your account. If you have your own capital Hold, Echo and T3 will probably give you some leeway.

#14     Nov 19, 2009
  5. This is what he means: you are assuming that if you traded somebody else's money, you would do a lot better. Well, I think I can speak for 99% of traders when I say all of us would do a lot better if we don't have any blood into it.

So he asks, what do u bring to the table ? Your situation is not that uncommon and it is not a basis for a hiring decision.

Besides, those places only want Ivy Leagers anyway.

#15     Nov 19, 2009
  6. Ok, I think I'm still being to vague. The way I understand it, if you get in training at these firms, you recieve money to live on. I am not down just becasue of losses but also because I have to take out dough to survive. Also, I believe that they give you a cut of your gross, not sure exactly how this works, but I am still gross + on the year, so if it was a straight cut, I would still be up. I don't know why anyone thinks I am assuming that I would do better at one of these firms, I am assuming the exact same performance, but with money to live on provided by the firm.

If someone has more details on how the payout structure works I would like to know.

#16     Nov 19, 2009
  7. 4EXJOE

4EXJOE

I think what everyone is *politely* trying to tell you is:

WTF do you think you are that a legitimate NY prop shop is gonna back your trading-- and provide a draw while you "learn" no less-- when they've got ivy-leaguers falling all over them trying to get those jobs while all you can manage is a 'B' average at a lesser institution?

Put up 5K and you can "work" prop anywhere.

Welcome to the NEW WORLD.

I don't care what everyone has told you in the past....

#17     Nov 19, 2009
  8. Whoa... easy there a**hole,

Their own website (FNY), says they take people 3.0 avg, and makes no mention of ivy league institutions. I know that's what they look for, but how is taking in a total noob more risky than taking me, regardless of where they graduated from? You obviously didn't read my posts either or you can't comprehend shit, I "work" at a prop now. So... if you have nothing to add, I am *politely* asking you to go fuck yourself.

Back on topic, this thread is not supposed to be about me, look at the title. I know that one of the mods on here got himself a gig like this, and I am assuming that others on this board have interviewed at these firms. I would only like to know how?

And Rosy, how would I get my resume past HR?

#18     Nov 19, 2009
  9. PPT

PPT

yea, i would never hire anyone that blows up their account.

sure, this will be different....not

analogy:

you play baseball and hit .100 and are really horrible

now you want someone to pay you to play?

LOL

dude, you have no chance

side note: make sure you never let the fries leave your station until the manager says so!!!

#19     Nov 19, 2009
  10. l2tradr

l2tradr

LOL

Seriously though, I would apply, call them, fax resumes etc but don't tell them about the fact that you blew or almost blew your account; use the knowledge you picked up at the other firm to impress them in the interview but pretend you're brand new. OTherwise, the guy I quoted is pretty much dead on IMO

#20     Nov 19, 2009