How to get interview at real prop firm?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by PiggyBank, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Hi All,

This is my first post, although I have been lurking here for 2+ years. Anyway my question is: how exactly do I get an interview at a Schonfeld, FNYS etc.? I am a B student from a B school, and although I have been bleed out as of late, I had a decent run (relative to my account size), at one of the more well known "prop" firms, and now I am flat on the year.

I have come to the realization that in order for me to trade properly, I need some support. I am sure many others are in this position right now so what is it I can do just to get in the door.? Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Search on Career Builder and Monster. Firms that are hiring usually put their ads up there i think there's a number for schonfeld on their website. FNYS has a website you can go to.

3. Thanks Coot, but I don't think that I was specific enough, so let me clarify a little. I have been trading for 2+ years. I did alright last year (relative to my initial deposit), and this year I was doing pretty well in the first quarter, then it all went to s***. There were several reasons for this, but the most important one is that I needed money. Anyone who has been in this position knows you cannot trade properly like that.

In order to solve this problem, I need to go to a firm that will back me, profit splits are fine, but a draw/small salary would be perfect. I only know of a few, which I mentioned, and they are hard to get into, especially with a daytrader washout in progress. So my main question was: how can I stand out just to get an interview? Also, if anyone knows of other firms that back you but take a cut, please let me know. Any opinions are welcome, and we all know that ET has no shortage of opinions...

4. rosy2

rosy2

what can you do? if you had a company why would you hire a person like yourself?

5. Look I'm not talking about an I bank, I'm talking about prop firms, not at GS, but independent props. I don't really understand how a 3.1 and 3.6 in my major, which was finance, is bad. Not outstanding but it isn't bad. I am liscensed, (7,66) and I have a track record. The point is if I was at FNY for example, from the beginning, I wouldn't really have any problems.

I am confident that with an interview, I have a shot. So how do I get an interview? For example, should I supply my pnl with my resume or not? I don't want to mess up when I apply.

6. MGB

MGB

That is a very big assumption.

7. That isn't what I intended. I should have wrote, "I wouldn't really have any problems, the rest of you don't have, like a shoddy market."

8. I hope you talk less jibberish during your interview!

9. I think your taking my replies the wrong way. I don't think I'm some great trader, in fact I'm not that good or I wouldn't have blown my account. I agree that it is extra extra hard to make money right now. What I did mean is I just don't have enough money saved to survive a bad time like this, and if I had backing I wouldn't be pressured to trade as aggresively. That's all I meant.

10. rosy2

rosy2

so you're a random guy off the street?

what do you bring to the table?

#10     Nov 18, 2009