How to find stocks with smooth trends

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by rosco9awj, Oct 19, 2016.

1. rosco9awj

rosco9awj

2. kmiklas

kmiklas

I'm looking for the same types of things.

At this point, I'm manually scanning my watchlist.

I plan to write an algo to do this shortly. Who's your broker? Maybe you could beta test it if you're interested.

3. Jones75

Jones75

There is no absolute predictor, otherwise everyone would be wealthy. But here are a couple of ideas for you to entertain.

The lower your stat vol is, the smoother the ride which is based on the underlying stock.

Beta can sometimes help, but use with caution. When you see a beta of 1, that means, in layman's term, the stock usually moves in concert with the market.

Good luck :)

Tim Smith likes this.
  4. rosco9awj

rosco9awj

I have been using thinkorswim for charting data.

5. kmiklas

kmiklas

What is your data source?

Funny you should mention this... I started work on this algo yesterday. This algo is on my agenda for today.

6. Would ATR indicate choppyness with a stock?

I know you can scan via beta with finviz

7. kmiklas

kmiklas

What we're talking about is intraday volatility. You have to quantify what you mean by "super choppy." In what time frame? If from 10-11am the standard deviation is, say, $0.25, would you call that "super-choppy?" For SIRI, that's super-choppy; for FB, that typical, and some would even call it "smooth."

The key is to establish a baseline for the financial instrument in question, and then make decisions from there. If we agree that "smooth" means a standard deviation of $0.05 over time t, and over another period of time t the standard deviation is $0.25, then it's "super-choppy."

Something like this: let's say that a baseline intraday volatility is $0.10 over time t. Then the following makes sense:

Code:
    STD    LABEL
    0.01   dead
    0.05   smooth
    0.10   baseline
    0.15   choppy
    0.20   really choppy
    0.25   super-choppy
    Assuming a period time t = 10 minutes, we can say things like this:

10:00-10:09am: smooth
    10:10-10:19am: choppy
    10:20-10:29am: dead
    10:30-10:39am: super-choppy
    10:40-10:49am: smooth
    10:50-10:59am: downspike

Also it's important to note that, although the volatility figure may be the same, the actual chart can be radically different. The following two have about the same standard deviation over the same amount of time, and number of data points:

Code:
         o
        o  o
       o    o
      o      o
    o          o

o o o o
             o
               o
                 o
                  o
                   o
    Simply put, it's not so easy what you're asking for. I've been noodling on this for a few days now.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    KingOfClubz likes this.
  8. News, be aware of calendar events, have the S/R's ready.

9. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

+1 * million

This !!!!!!!

There is no holy grail because :
    (a) Everyone would be rich
    (b) Even if there is (which there isn't !) a holy grail, nobody's going to tell write it down for you in a book, the internet, twitter ... medium of your choice.

Why do you think the HFTs and Algo funds employ so many rocket scientists ? Not because "they can", but because to maintain their minuscule, tiny, little "edge" against the lesser-mortals who trade the market, all those clever geeks need to continue adapting and refining those algorithms as the irrational market continues along its random path.

Jones75 likes this.
  10. A so-called Holy Grail in Trading...is like the Excalibur sword...even if it were to be disclosed...only the ideal, right person could make it work fruitfully :banghead::)
    [​IMG]
    it would truly be Discretionary trading. -- because trading is part art, part science.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    #10     Oct 19, 2016