How to find a stocks real value?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by MoneyMaker, May 25, 2008.

1. DavidDT

DavidDT

No pun intended, but the only way to "find the stock's real value" is to ask the greatest fool "How much are you willing to pay"

#11     May 26, 2008
  2. #12     May 26, 2008
  3. 1) Stocks have no real or intrinsic value. They only have make believe value based on what someone is willing to pay.

2) Stock move up and down in price. After you buy the stock your P/L is based on the stock's movement up or down. It is not based on the stock's real value.

3) Your goal is to make as much money as possible and to lose the least possible. The best way to go about this is to a) identify price trends b) enter positions in the direction of the trend c) cut losing positions quickly d) hold on to winning positions.

#13     May 26, 2008
  4. I wouldnt focus on P/Es or a company's valuation. I would just focus on purely supply, demand and bias:

1) Float (supply of shares)- How many shares are outstanding? I consider stocks with under a 100 million share float as ideal for trading.

2) Growth (fuels demand for shares)- Current Quarterly Earnings/Share Growth - minimum of 40% and quarterly sales accelerating at 40% or better.

3) Chart (bias)- Using only simple trend-lines (no indicators), volume and classic chart-patterns, which direction is the stock trending?

I will give you one good example where the stars were aligned perfectly...FSLR. FSLR had all of the components above.

Walmart used to have all the components, however, as time wore on the stock split a few times and the company sold more shares increasing the float. Lots of insider sells increasing the float. It went from a small speedboat to this massive tanker where its very difficult to turn.

Dont focus on valuation...focus on the true action of price...

#14     May 26, 2008

5. [​IMG]

i guess you have never heard of book value or cash value

#15     May 26, 2008
  6. Cutten

Cutten

There are plenty of investment books which tell you exactly this. Try "Security Analysis" by Graham & Dodd and move on from there.

#16     May 26, 2008
  7. Cutten

Cutten

But there are lots of stock that have this pattern, then fall 80%+. How do you tell the difference?

#17     May 26, 2008
  8. security analysis
    common stocks and uncommon profits

read them and learn

#18     May 26, 2008
  9. one of my professors says that the value of something is the present value of its future cash flows :D

#19     May 26, 2008
  10. i like to take HUGE loans out against my cash flow growth

#20     May 26, 2008