How to find a mentor?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by hermit_trader, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Some method

how markets work

develop

test

plans

trade a plan.

adjust

This set of focal points, if thought to be "where it's at", are niave as the scope of mentoring. Anyone being mentored chooses to be mentored because that person has a readiness to accept input from the vantage point of knowing there is something to be transferred.

It is very unimportant to chat about what doesn't work or come up with lists of who should be learning what from whom.

Mentors probably succeed simply because they can build a connection with another person and then allow the person to transition from a beginning point to soon being successful through a common shared setting.

Mentoring turns out to be a process rather than a learning experience. It fast tracks a reasonable person through a series of considerations whereby about four elements (gathering info, analysis of info, decision making, and acting) are vitalized by a series of exchanges by dealing with what is present and then replacing it, if necessary, with what is required. In the military, it's called basic training. Fitness comes from diet and activities. Team-building comes from establishing an espirit des corps and responsibility. Gradually risk is introduced as is the requirement to perform.

The venue, the market, is not rocket science. Connecting the efficiency of the market to the efficiency of the person only comes by stages. This week and last are cool examples of slow motion for making this connection in a relaxed manner. for people who trade several periodicities simultaneously, it is a nice pace as well for each of these. (See AMT in the ES thread).

I stand the risk of the person I mentor. Just as the military does not ask recruits to jump right into a battle, a mentor stands the risk of recruit mistakes which are there as part of a process, especially at the beginning.

Going from soap box to racing car requires stages of change. In any event, you do have to consider all the aspects of the races at hand. By looking at all aspects all the time and exchanging elements properly as the sophistication develops, a streamlined result becomes tangible.

I find that the sequence of going from intellect to action is crucial. Gathering data and doing analysis are intellectual phases. Deciding from beliefs and then taking timely action is not intellectual. Thus as a mentor observes the four elements being done in sequence, he is able to infuse and vitalize the stages cleanly and appropriately as the levels of efficiency are addressed. The switch from intellect to feelings(belief and behavior) is a rich and deep reservoir that takes time to construct.

Luckily, making money is dependant upon only one thing. By building systemmically from a foundation focused on change, anyone can ramp up to a minimal performance level almost immediately.

The pairing of a mentor and a person only requires that each know what is on the table. A mentor must take on the financial risk. The person must take on the task of performing. A person cannot mentor others if what he imparts does not allow a person to be able to perform. A person cannot ask for mentoring until he is willing to get the job done properly.

It was said that the mentor will show up when the time is right.

#21     Dec 29, 2003

2. I am ready, but the teacher seems to have missed a turn somewhere...

:p

#22     Dec 29, 2003
  3. T-REX

T-REX

Dude I told you to come and see me awhile ago.
    :D

#23     Dec 29, 2003