How to explain Options in simple terms to friends?

Discussion in 'Options' started by professorkev, May 20, 2009.

1. Tell them to buy or sell one and then they will instantly get it.

#11     May 20, 2009
  2. How about .. . . "Trying to collect nickels in front of a bulldozer?" :p

#12     May 20, 2009
  3. ......and sometimes you are the one who is operating the bulldozer. :)

#13     May 20, 2009
  4. When your friends suffer from insomnia, you can be a real "friend" and explain options trading to them. :cool:

#14     May 20, 2009
  5. The best way is to tell your friends, no offense intended of course,
    that they are not intelligent enough to understand what you do....:D

#15     May 20, 2009
  6. Corelio

Corelio

Here's how...
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idio...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242838879&sr=8-1

#16     May 20, 2009
  7. Lawyer joke on the subject

No analogy with options intended, of course! :D

A grade school teacher was asking students what their parents did for a living. Tim, you're first, she said. What does your mother do all day?
    Tim stood up and proudly said, She's a doctor.

That's wonderful. How about you, Amie? Amie shyly stood up, scuffed her feet and said, My father is a mailman.
    'Thank you, Amie, said the teacher. What about your father, Billy?

Billy proudly stood up and announced, My daddy plays piano in a whorehouse.

The teacher was aghast and promptly changed the subject to geography. Later that day she went to Billy's house and rang the bell. Billy's father answered the door. The teacher explained what his son had said and demanded an explanation.

Billy's father said, I'm actually an attorney, but how can I explain a thing like that to a seven-year-old?

#17     May 20, 2009
  8. Not true.

And if they do get it, that's the worst possible way to introduce someone to options. Your suggestion would be helping someone go broke in a hurry.

Mark

#18     May 20, 2009
  9. Thanks guys for the enjoyable and somewhat amusing responses. I giuess then that options are just something that people don't generally know about and it's just one of those things of the profession that will confuse people (like an ER doctor explaineg a complicated procedure).

Thanks!

#19     May 20, 2009

10. I mean just one cheap one. Do it in a Simulator. Once you have position its automatic understanding of what the concept is.

Strategies, technique, that's different story. The OP was speaking to explaining what they are.

Thanks,

John

#20     May 21, 2009