How to enter spread future trades on Interactive brokers

Discussion in 'Financial Futures' started by mario0887, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Hi all,

Wondering if something could provide step by step instructions on how to buy future spreads in one order as i want to mitigate huge margin requirements. I've been fiddling around with IB/TWS and the app and i did come across spread trader but its confusing and the debit/credit when plugging in the spreads seems wrong/confusing.

I want to focus on entering calenders buy/sell front month/back month and wondering if anyone currently trades these and can advise how to enter them on either TWS or app. Ive been paper trading them to get the feel of it and even with paper trading i get extremely frustrated when trying to enter these trades. Seems like a trade should be going my way and i end up entering it wrong and confusing myself. Tried call the main line but they arent very helpful or at least the person i spoke to wasnt.

Thanks in advance

2. Type the name of the futures contract (ex: ES) and hit <enter>. You will get a list with similar instruments. When you select "futures", you have 6 options. First 3 are "ES MAR", "ES JUN", "ES SEP" and more. At the end of the list you have "Futures Spreads". Use that one.

nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. Seem to still have issues as for some reason it defaults to the contract ahead. Example trying to buy CL Apr sell CL Dec it defaults to May/Jan. very confusing