how to download intraday prices for past 10 years for free, in Python

Discussion in 'App Development' started by rs2000, Feb 27, 2018.

1. rs2000

rs2000

Hi All,

I am working on a project and need to download last 10 years of hourly price data for a stock in Python and need a source that works for free. Can you please help if there is a way?

I have tried searching and using the usual pandas.webreader but it doesn't seem to work for 10 years (only for 3 months). Could you please help me here if there is some way...

thanks a lot!

2. ET180

ET180

3. rs2000

rs2000

Thanks, this is a paid service and I need a free service (likes of google, yahoo etc) wherein I can download the hourly data for 10 years through python. Is there anything you know of?

thanks again

4. ET180

ET180

quandl?

I'd be surprised if you can find a free service. Think of how much data, bandwidth, and maintenance such a service would require. How would they make any money? Not even sure that there is a big audience that would want hourly data for 10 years. Why not subscribe to IQ Feed for 1 month. Download all the historical data that you need. Then use the free services to maintain your database.

5. jharmon

jharmon

Survivorship bias seems to be missing here. Sure, download any surviving stock from multiple sources (with varying quality) but try and go work on a survivorship-bias-free trading system without survivors in your data, and your trading system becomes way too optimistic!

Expect to pay for that data.

6. truetype

truetype

ET is the Land of the Free.

7. jharmon

jharmon

or maybe the Home of the (Naively) Brave

8. rs2000

rs2000

Hi All,

Thanks, 10 years is ideal but if there is a free source even 6 month or a year would be great too. I tried quandl but lools like that DB aren't free? could you please help get some sources here

thanks!

9. rs2000

rs2000

this is for a university course and hence I am not too concerned about the data quality (unless its really bad)