How to determine the strength of a trend

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by toby, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Our conversation is going along well, please do not allow it to digress to a pissing contest. Your constant comments to "professional" is offensive. I am a professional and just because our views are different is no reason to patronize me.

Simple 123 is not simple.

Pattern recognition is not simple or consistent.

If you think price can go any other direction OTHER than Up or Down, please explain and be specific.

I agree with you that the CAUSES are complicated.

I agree the Market is a sophisticated and complex environment but price action is not.

I know the "Big Boys" too. The "Big Boys" make a lot of decisions everyday but they will be the first to tell you that ever one of their decisions is subjective.

I'm saying that traders have the ability to eliminate a lot of that subjectivity but choose not to because of engrained habits. It's easier to continue to do what has been successful in the past than to spend the time verifying something new, no matter what the potential of their successes could be.

If the world waited for the "Big Boys" to verify the best scenarios out there, we would still be swinging clubs and dragging our women by the hair. (No snide remarks please :D )

#51     Jul 6, 2005
  2. Charlie - Sorry I did not mean the word "Professional" to be personally directed at you, it was just a general statement.

I agree with you about subjectivity in definition of trend or anything really :)

I can say the word fruit tree and every trader in here will see a different one in thier mind.

So I'm not sure where we were even going with this whole thread in the first place anymore other to say that.

I PERSONALLY USE MANY DIFFERENT TOOLS TO DEFINE A TREND.

Good trading to you

:)

#52     Jul 6, 2005
  3. The question still remains though, WHICH tools and WHEN ?

I believe there is a balance that one finds when they get consistently profitable. PACE as per PRICE, TIME, and VOLUME is the best foundation for strength testing price, time, and volume. We can call it whatever we want in whatever time we are in--is that it--egocentric garbage created to sell someone. I agree that only several indication readings for certain market components are required to determine a position and size. I also agree that a trader can utilize well over 300 indications/mechanisms/tools to determine a position and size in certain instruments. It's all relative and most of what one hears is garbage unless it is useful to you when you get profitable. The Big Boys can afford it, we cannot.

How do you determine if a particular woman is a good lay/relationship? Pretty subjective, as is calling price action anything other then price action and trying to extract "trends". Price is simple and complicated--like human relationships but it is quantified and in perpetual motion--the instruments we trade (unless you are in chit) will go on well after we are all dead(these generations). But really, we all know what makes a woman a good lay in our own way, not someone else telling you. If your desire is to measure directional price action and thereafter price action implications based on divergences from prior actions, force and energy, i think it is quite obvious that you need to use the three components (price, volume, time) as compared to past events, AND HERE IS THE KICKER, that are similar rebirths. So if Bonds were thick when X showed these price action rebirths then examine bonds when you want to apply similar tactics and decide what importance they had and have on your instrument.

It's not a Qtip, it's a cotton swab--in this business, the difference is important. It's not steak, it is meat. In N.America it's popular to be trendy. There's a weather trend moving into the area. Please stop the insanity.lol You cannot call something other than what it is. You cannot go on to measure this something that you are calling something else. You can call on the U.S. public school system and ask them why they are "trending" out mindless drones that fucking ask how to measure trends. The insanity. But hey, i'm open in hearing about how to measure "trends" in a philosophical format. Please go on. Don't mind my bias.

#53     Jul 6, 2005
  4. Put/Call ratio for the SPX has worked great this week--------trends have held once there was a good shift in the ratio.

#54     Jul 6, 2005