How to determine the strength of a trend

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by toby, Jul 4, 2005.

1. and you can always make a trend depending on how you condense or expand your chart. ever look at pure random prices on a standard 3,5,15 et al chart? random, meaning as this word relates to normal stock price distribution or move within a time frame. illusions, my friend, illusions.

prime

#21     Jul 4, 2005
  2. First, if you read exactly what I wrote and; digest it, think about it, apply it and test it, you will see that trends exist is real time. You make an arbitrary statement based on time analysis that (I assume) you personally have never tested which is understandable.

Research is time consuming and most traders have the patience of a knat. Trading takes enough patience let alone doing research as well . . . gee. What I offer is simple and easy to prove to yourself though time consuming. So, just due your due diligence and see for yourself.

Me showing you anything is a total waste of my time. If you don't see it and prove it to yourself, you will never believe it no matter how much energy or documentation I provide you.

As far as "buying new highs and selling new lows", to me that is as far from trend following as you can get. That is "break-out" trading and akin to suicide.

If you can't read price action you will never be able to follow or even believe that trends exist in real-time.

#22     Jul 4, 2005
  3. Discussions with non-believers are a waste of time and energy.
    The fact that they see trendfollowing as "buying the highs and selling the lows" is the ultimate proof that they don't have the slightest clue what a trend is.

#23     Jul 4, 2005
  4. Whats the common use of the ADX (settings)?

Just curious what others call common.

#24     Jul 4, 2005

5. =====================

Non -believer or what trendfollowers call a small sample;
    thinks a ''primemove'' is measured or registered from some time in June-July4!!!!!!!.
    :cool:

#25     Jul 4, 2005

6. spike,

i am merely quoting the main proponent of trend following. definately not a non believer. this was found on his site.

prime :D

#26     Jul 4, 2005

7. :D :cool:

#27     Jul 4, 2005
  8. This thread reaffirms my faith in ET. Please tell us all, what instruments do you trade? Trading NQ is getting to be too hard. I need simpler competition.

#28     Jul 4, 2005

9. Believe it or not ... the "trend" is in the eye of the beholder.

Besides, the "Trend" is a very fragile thing. And it also depends on which time-frame you're looking at.

The Trend is more important to position traderz, and to an extent, day-traderz, not so much to scalperz.

Work on set-ups.

ET

#29     Jul 4, 2005
  10. That was a joke, i way trying to tell that there
    is no way to determine the strenght of a trend.

You never know when it happens, You strategy have
    to tell you to be in a trade or not in a trade, it's all
    about what are odds of catching a trend.

#30     Jul 4, 2005