How to determine CL calendar spread margin

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by JangoFolly, Apr 6, 2007.

1. From this link, can someone please confirm exactly what the margin would be for a May-July CL spread (Group/Tier 2 = $250)?

http://www.nymex.com/CL_marg.aspx

Thank you.

2. ????...........135% of $400?....$540 per spread? Don't quote me on that. The May/June spread is making new lows. Maybe it's due for a rebound.

3. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't come away with a clear answer.

4. You are correct. At IB on the May/June spread, the initial margin is $540 and the maintenance is $400.

5. The Nymex site is confusing. Is the import of their "groups" that you are charged whatever is the highest margin for either leg of the spread? (i.e., if one leg is the front month, the margin is $540 no matter what the other leg is?)

6. I tested the May/July spread and the margin is $270 initial and $200 maintenance.

7. andiamo

andiamo

Stupid question but I have to ask...

How do you bring up the calendar spreads in IB? What ticker symbol did you use? I can get the May crude market or the June crude market, but I don't know how to bring up the May/June spread. :confused:

8. gkishot

gkishot

put in the symbol and use combo option on the pop up menu.

9. The spreadtrader in TWS should be able to do it; however, there is a bug for the CL contract that is supposed to be fixed in the next update. When you try to load the CL futures, you only get Colgate SSF.

10. andiamo

andiamo

Cool...thanks!

#10     Apr 19, 2007