how to decide on trading method, time frame and instrument

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by alphav6O3q, Nov 26, 2011.

1. when I started out I was so poor I had to trade in negative time frames. I actually exited before I entered. Worked out very well for me because most of the time I was wrong.

#31     Dec 1, 2011
  2. lol.

I did that once by mistake. Accidentally, hit the stop option on my market entry with a stop price less than the market price. It took me several minutes to figure out why FXCM said the entry was excepted but it wasn't showing up anywhere in either my open positions or orders.

Funny thing was I actually made money on that trade because it exited at market price.

#32     Dec 1, 2011
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

lol if you only did it once you beat me. i did on about 150 30yr bond options once when i tried to reverse a trade. that was in the day when you called in your orders, wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for all the laughing in the background, as i sunk to all time lows in self esteem! m

#33     Dec 1, 2011
  4. Mixing humor with advice in a place where tone, mood, facial expressions, character, etc. are left out makes it difficult to distinguish between the two.

#34     Dec 1, 2011
  5. The embarassment probably did you good. Bet you didn't make that mistake again.

#35     Dec 1, 2011
  6. based on your account size.

if big than 100k~200k, option in amzn/appl/spy/qqq is the best, target on swing. just trade those out of money call/puts. do not trade those in the money options.

if below 50k, index future, NQ is the best, the highest leverage compared to ES/YM. swing trade, do not day trade NQ.

if below 25k, just penny option. swing trade, no day trading. pay particular to expiration day trading.

if over 1m, etf ,mutual funds, individual stocks. leverage is not necessary.
    using option /future as hedge tool, not trading tool.

#36     Dec 1, 2011
  7. tobbe

tobbe

:eek: :p :D

Priceless.

#37     Dec 3, 2011
  8. Hii Trader198,

Could you please explain why you think these instruments are optimal for the given capital. Since I have seen a number of recommendations, it would help me choose better if I knew the reasoning behind the recommendation.

#38     Dec 4, 2011