How to deal with the fear of getting into positions

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by sbn, Jan 24, 2006.

1. It is but I think everyone is talking in some kind of secret code... :p

#11     Jan 24, 2006
  2. Fear left me when I started making completely mechanical decisions. No thinking or guessing, just act like a machine. If you can't follow the rules, then nothing will help.

#12     Jan 24, 2006
  3. jessop

jessop

sbn,

Hesitation was a real killer for me in the first 6 months.

Try reading Mark Douglas - Trading in the Zone.

It helped me a lot.

Cheers

#13     Jan 24, 2006
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

by overwhelm it with the pain of regret

#14     Jan 24, 2006
  5. LOL

#15     Jan 24, 2006
  6. BVM88

BVM88

Fear is not real, it's just a concept in your head about some negative future event that in all probability will never occur exactly as you imagined, if at all (the whole subject is covered extensively in Buddhism, so please do some research before ridiculing). I think it was Mark Twain that said something like: " my life has been full of terrible misfortune, most of which never occurred". Fear blinds one to the reality of the present and makes one careless and stupid. If you experience fear in your trading then you are attached to some future outcome, are uncertain about your approach and in turn are not sufficiently present to the market as it unfolds in front of you, which will often lead to poor decisions and disappointment. Once you have sufficient awareness of yourself, and of your system's strengths and weaknesses, fear will leave you as quickly as it came.

#16     Jan 24, 2006
  7. #17     Jan 24, 2006
  8. Thank you. As one who has just been informed that her live account is ready to trade - this made me laugh so much it took my fear away!! I'll just lay back and enjoy it then LOL!! :)

#18     Jan 24, 2006
  9. Very insightful. It made me remember the book I read a few years ago " Feel the Fear - But do it anyway". That combined with tomcole's contribution has set me up just right!

Thanks everybody. You've no idea what your posts contribute to the jobbing trader. From the banal to the educated. From the wisecracks to the downright bitter and twisted you all contribute to the spice of trading life. I salute you. Happy Pipping.

PipGoddess

I think I'll start a diary of my live account antics. That'll bore you all to death!! :p

#19     Jan 24, 2006
  10. I try to overcome my fear by trading with small amount of shares. I then go to more shares after I overcame my fear.

#20     Jan 24, 2006