How to Deal with Multiple Times in your Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by trader99, Dec 4, 2009.

1. trader99

trader99

So, here's the deal. I do both swing trading as well as intraday. On my swing trading I make large multiple Rs but I'm also willing to sit through a lot of volatility which at times can be stomach churning as you see some of these futures move!

Now, I get my swing trading signal or setup from the daily charts. But I enter them in on an intraday basis. Lately, I've also been very active intraday(scalping). And it's getting me too nervous or short sighted. I had short the yen(JPY) a few days ago and I knew from the daily charts it would reverse. But I couldn't hold because intrady it started moving up higher. I got out for a small loss then later that day and the next few days it proceed to move over 400pips! And same with NG. Last night, I got in a a good price. But NG moves very slow over night. So, I got out at another small loss even though my daily chart setups said it will rebound.

So, how do you separate your swing setups from your intraday setups? Anyone do both. Thanks.

2. All purposefully successful trading begins and ends with anticipation of a price move. Swing and intra-day are simply different time frames one might target.

When I try to exploit a price move, I regularly use both intra-day and swing positions.

OP speaks with the assumption that there is some inherent difference between a swing 'entry' and an intra-day 'entry.' For me there are only entries. The resulting position only becomes a swing or intra-day position based on how long I decide to hold the position. Regularly I don't make that decision until after the entry has already been made. All positions are taken in an effort to capture part of an anticipated price move.

For example in the second half of December I expect oil to rally. During that time I may take big intra-day positions, but scale them back when prices spike, or to keep margin requirements manageable for overnight positions.