how to day trade index future with low day range

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by flyingforget, Oct 10, 2007.

1. the day range is smaller than 1% of index

and smaller than 80 pts

how to trade it

any techincal article

thank you

2. Hmmm...

prob not the best thing for you to do. (Sounds like you should have a better idea of what you are doing before you do it).

The answer: fast and often. You will need ESP or a great gut to get in and out over and over though the trading session. Careful though, commissions will add up, so you better take more than you give.

:D

PS if you are an aspiring technician, check out the price indicators like stochastic, moving averages, macd etc.

Send me a PM.

3. I made a mistake

the day range is smaller than 0.7% of index

4. Most of the latest execution platforms have some macros that are tied to hot keys that will help you trade these low range days.

Call tech support and ask them how to set up and program for buying the low, and selling the high!

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

MA doesn't help in a low range day, Williams %R does. The problem is with this kind of day, that a newbie won't recognize it until it is almost over.

Since it is a low range day, you are allowed to average in. Go for smaller profits, since you won't have much movement...

6. 80 points isn't a bad range... can't you make money in a range circa 80pts?

7. 80 points isn't a bad range... can't you make money in a range circa 80pts?

I can not filter good trend to make money in such a day

could someone point me the way

thank you

8. If you can't make money with 80 points, find something else to trade BUT now you will be risking MORE of your cash on every trade.

How about a longer time frame, like a few days?

9. one year ago I knew nothing about trading

now I know a little

I believe I can know more secrets of the market

10. I too am learning and have about the same experience level, flying one.

So far I have learned to observe volume to help determine if it is to be a range trade. It seems to me that significant price movement occurs "typically" with greater than 5000 contracts coming/going (looking at a 1 minute chart).

When the volume is less than 5000 then price movement is "typically" restricted to a range. Once you observe the high and low with low volume then you generally have an idea of when to buy and when to sell. Keeps your stops not far away as eventually there will be a breakout, keyed by volume.

My limited experience is based only on the S&P e-mini so perhaps what I offer does not work for what you are trading.

Regards,

T_182:)

#10     Oct 12, 2007