How to create capital loss with options (or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Options' started by bpj, Oct 11, 2019.

1. bpj

bpj Guest

How come I would be a bit short? If I go 10 contracts short Jan and 10 contracts long Feb isn't the net position 0?

#21     Oct 12, 2019
  2. bpj

bpj Guest

@Wheezooo
    Sorry to call you out - I thought you might have missed my question in post #21 - would be grateful if you could explain your reasoning

#22     Oct 13, 2019
  3. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

I saw it. I wanted to see if you would invest time to figure it out for yourself.

But here's a clue. Backwardation and contango.

#23     Oct 13, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  4. bpj

bpj Guest

Well, I know about contango and backwardation but that is unpredictable. It can shift from one to the other any time - that is the risk involved with this strategy. Is there any way to reduce it?

#24     Oct 13, 2019
  5. ironchef

ironchef

If you don't use margins?

#25     Oct 13, 2019
  6. kv1289

kv1289

Think about the curve like a diving board. The front of the curve (Where the diver jumps off) moves much more than the back of the diving board. Therefore even though you are notional neutral (short 1 contract, long 1 contract) the short leg (front of the diving board) will move more than the back leg.

#26     Oct 14, 2019
  7. bpj

bpj Guest

Is it safer to execute this strategy using further-dated CL futures? They are much less liquid - that is another concern.
    Do you have any other suggestions as to the choice of CL contracts and direction of each leg?

#27     Oct 14, 2019
  8. kv1289

kv1289

Depends on your intent....

In either case futures trading revenue will be marked to market at the end of the year.

If you are asking from a trading standpoint then yes the volatility between serial months is more comparable on deferred contracts.

You will generally find more liquidity on the June and Dec contracts.

I can't speak to trading strategy, that's something you would need to research/test to determine if there is positive expectancy.

#28     Oct 14, 2019
  9. bpj

bpj Guest

Again, in my tax jurisdiction futures will NOT be market to market at the end of the tax year.

Do you mean the potential for a big move in spread between the deferred contracts is smaller than in near months?

#29     Oct 14, 2019
  10. kv1289

kv1289

Yes that is correct, for an energy product like CL there is more volatility near the front.

#30     Oct 14, 2019