How to console wife for pending loss of dog?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KCalhoun, Oct 2, 2022.

1. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

It's sad; we've had our shih-tsu for 15+ years... but the little dog has dementia and is struggling, and the vet suggested we consider euthanizing it.

My wife will be devastated; she's a housewife who has cared for the dog like a child for 15 years, and she's going to lose it. She said she definitely doesn't want another pet. Any suggestions? It's a tough situation with no answers. thx, if any insights....

happyholidaykendoji.jpg

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

That may be the way she currently feels because she doesn't want to deal with the loss of another dog, but as it's been said many times before, "The best way to get over the loss of a dog is to buy a puppy."

And it really is the truth. So if I were you guys, I would start the process of finding another dog ASAP. In fact, bringing a new puppy into the house before Doji dies will likely bring some new positive energy into the household during whatever time is left.

My English bulldog is 9 years old and the lifespan of that breed is around 8 -10 years. He's been falling all to pieces lately so I went out and bought a French bulldog about a year ago. Even though he still struggles with various physical ailments, having a new puppy around gives him some companionship and distracts him (and us) from constantly focusing on his physical problems.

gage_and_nora.png

PXL_20220514_193624173_3.png

tango29 and KCalhoun like this.
  3. Everyone should automatically put old dogs, pets, down....and get a new puppy or kitten or parrot to sit on your shoulder.

Don't wait for the pet to be in a worse, horrible shape and condition before you put them down.....when you know the pet is old....just put them down. It's bests for everyone involved to put an old pet down early.

People should open their minds to other options,
    If you've been a dog person your whole life.....get a cat, or pair of cats,
    If you've been a cat person your whole life.....get a dog, or pair of dogs,

It's amazing what life has to offer, if you keep an open, neutral, mind and absorb new things and options and experiences and products and brands and locations/homes and whatnot,

I have no problem at all putting an old pet down. Some people can be so dramatic and theatrical about that process.
    My trader mind has made me cold, and rather emotionless about all aspects of life.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Don't press her to agree. Just go out and buy a new dog. That's what I did. My wife went on a girl's trip and when she came back there was a new member of the family waiting on her. :D:thumbsup: She melted like butter when she walked in the house and saw Nora, our Frenchie, for the first time. There was no arguing or anything. It taps into a woman's DNA to have a little one to take care of. Trust me.

KCalhoun likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Would you feel the same way about a family member in the same condition? Being old?

6. Whether it's a family member, me or any human being or pet or animal....it's essentially all the same to me.
    Old, sickly, broken and basically useless things....should be put down, and replaced.

That, again, is your downfall as a trader, Overbite.....you're too warm, human, happy and patriotic and idealistic.
    You need to be more dark, cynical, twisty, weird and independent and neutral-minded and realistic in every situation of life....wake up and smell everyone's shit and bad breath and internal mindsets and foresights.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  7. Overnight

Overnight

STFU, you have no idea of my philosophy, you mindless parfait.

I am more dark and cynical than you will ever know.

Here is my point...

The idea is not to put down anyone under a certain age, but to put down the people who WANT to be put down.

I think suicide, and assisted suicide, should be legal in the USA. You want to take your own life, go for it dude! No reason for anyone to hold you back. You want to check out, you should be free to do it.

But a Logan's Run is wrong. You should not impose death upon people because they turn a certain age. I am sorry the movie reference I gave you is over your head, but that is my way. Maybe you should watch the movie before commenting on my spew.

KCalhoun likes this.
  8. kandlekid

kandlekid

I think our pets should die on their terms, not ours. A short story. My girlfriend, Russian, lives in
    St. Petersburg (deserves another thread) ... she had a dog, Markesia, that was near death. She was
    remarkably able to nurse him to another several years of life. Therefore, I would say,
    don't put the dog down, let nature take it's course.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

You could always order her a blow-up dog.
    (and you wouldn't even have to have it shipped to an undisclosed location.)

upload_2022-10-5_6-57-8.jpeg

Baron likes this.
  10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

:D:D

#10     Oct 5, 2022