How to change mindset to let profits run?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Eazy E, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Possibly bankruptcy, this kind of trading is flawed too bad people don't realize it before they blow up.

TV

#41     Oct 23, 2008
  2. Joab

Joab

An old axiom but a good one:

Repeat during the day:

Plan your trade and trade your plan

#42     Oct 23, 2008
  3. xxxskier

xxxskier Guest

as a student of sports psychology (which works very well for trading btw) i would say it is related. i heard about an NBA coach that hired a sports psychology consultant.....for one of the exercises the cons. told the team to run 40 yards at 100% speed and timed it, then told them to run the same 40 at 90%....guess which time was faster?

when we tighen up our muscles (or anything for that matter), we usually don't perform at our best. some sports coaches use a concept know as "white moments", roughly equivalent to "being in the zone". the primary characteristc and most common thing heard from high performing athletes is that they 'were not thinking' when they were doing. i've heard of a batting coach tell the players, "a full head gives you an empty bat".

i don't mean to turn this into a psych. thread, but i believe the biggest obstacle to consistent profits exists right between our ears.

PM me if you want some specific things to read about sports psych. that applies to trading.

#43     Oct 24, 2008
  4. well, I stop at 16 and the double the distance before i go in again with another 16 and that is it. However,I never go over the margin in my account (overnight that is). Stop point loss ....... have not gotten there yet on this account.

#44     Oct 27, 2008

5. Trading is about probabilities. In order to do what i do you need to have a fat account. 150K is absolute min. 500K being right on target. Just follow your plan and trade accordingly. Many a time i wanted to put 80 contracts instead of required 8 to bring in the profits but I did not. DISCIPLINE is the KEY (and that 500K if market really tumbles). :D

#45     Oct 27, 2008
  6. What if you downsize to an ETF ?

TV

#46     Oct 27, 2008
  7. I Like ES and that is ALL I trade. Anything else is not for me. So far no complaints. :D

#47     Oct 27, 2008
  8. ===================
    EaE;
    Planning ,analyzing longer time frames may help;
    that is, in a nicely trending market.

Didnt trade on 10-28.mainly because i didnt have much conviction on it downtrending.[the long & medium trend]So if you like to trend trade;
    you would be right to take smaller profits then, counter trend , or trend that day.

I still look @ monthly candles, but seldom keep that time-frame;
    & to put it simple,
    you can be early, or late on your profits.
    :cool:

#48     Oct 29, 2008
  9. fxtrade

fxtrade

"set target profit and forget it " .. :)

#49     Oct 29, 2008
  10. Jake69

Jake69

I don't bother trying for longer profits, i learned to take 2 points daily trading the emini. doesn't anybody use the methods taught at www.daytradetowin.com? i havn't seen any feedback from E.T.

#50     Oct 30, 2008